Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Friday, February 11, 2011

The Incident

Over the past week, I've been on the lookout for bobcat tracks. I haven't seen track nor photo of him in quite a while. I'm a tiny bit worried about how he survived our -30°F temperatures followed by snow storms. I hope that he leaves us a sign of his survival soon.

Although I didn't see bobcat tracks, I did see these tracks.
Yes, it was K's signature walking track. Her three-toed left front paw made the lower track. Then, she was walking so fast that her four-toed hind paw overstepped the front paw's track. Since her surgery, she cannot travel incognito!

Overnight, although the bobcat was still hiding out in an undisclosed location, a coyote visited, showing his face to the camera.
Then, very early this morning, one of the bobcat's favorite inhabitants of our clearing passed the same camera.

Yesterday afternoon, the Duo and I went for a snowshoe hike at sunset. Although we generally enjoyed it, K wanted me to show you a horrifying incident from the hike. It started when she wriggled on her back in a most dignified way.
Then, the R missile pounced, jolting her out of her reverie.
She stumbled to her paws, wondering, "Where am I and what happened?".
So, at her request, K had solo time with me this morning, with no missiles interrupting her wriggling time. She basked in the light of the rising sun.
She sprinted with no one jostling her out of the way.
And, she leaped without being outdone by any other, unnamed, dog.
Then, she prepared for a wriggle, pointing her shoulder toward the sweet comfortable snow.
 Ah, the joy of rolling in freezing, wind-packed snow at sunrise.
She could do it for hours without an unnamed dog interrupting.
Alas, when we reached the meadow, I could tell that she did miss her brother just a tiny bit. If he'd been with us, they'd have been playing chase through the meadow grass. Instead, she stood like a statue, doubtless smelling the coyotes who love the meadow.
Don't worry - R was out with the Runner this morning for a long adventure in the snow. We wouldn't ever leave him home if he didn't have an alternative plan for fun on his schedule.

21 comments:

  1. there is something special being one on one! i could see the dazed look on K after R ambushed her during her ritual....
    and i could see the joy of uninterrupted bliss....
    love the pic of her standing in the meadow grass...gorgeous...
    you two are quite the pair, a beautiful relationship indeed!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh, I am sooooo much likes dat unnamned dog and lemme tells ya...it is so much fun jumoing on brudder when he least expects it...whooooooweeeeeee!
    Anywyas, I so loves how you spend times with them individually. Keeps da pack in working order.

    Puddles
    PS: I'll say it every time I come here...BEEEEEAUTIFUL fotos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful sots, KB - it almost makes me want to wriggle with K in the snow...almost! The meadow shot is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. -30 degrees!! I hope the Bobcat is ok too. That first "sprinting" photo of K is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. TD would so sympathize with K:) But it is really nice to have some one on one time too.

    Have a great weekend.

    Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Khyra says that is what she was doing the other morning -

    I was too slow to get the camera on to get more of it!

    GREAT PICS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I hope the bobcat turns up, but I also hope that bunny finds some place to hide! Love that picture of the coyote!

    Your pal, Pip

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was a little worried when I read the title of your post, but now I have a hopeless case of the giggles! Poor K! Those young whippersnappers have no respect!

    Even getting rudely interrupted, K is still the prettiest girl around, though! I loved the photos today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing worse than being interrupted in the middle of heaven....smart move to separate the fun for both for a change. A different scenario results...a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't has to shares my mom wif anybodys...yet! :) Great pics today! Happy weekend to all of you!

    Woofs and Licks,
    Maggie Mae

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of the things I love to see the most is when a dog is going down for a roll. First the nose, then the head, and then the shoulder completes this wonderful ancient movement. Summer to pick up some lovely fragrance and winter to roll in the snow. Lovely!

    Cheers and hugs,

    Jo and Stella

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great comment from Stella above - Arwen is a big fan of the shoulder dive and roll - Nyxie too. Arwen will dive right into my lap and roll about, expecting belly rubs. Nyxie will roll like this after eating (which scares me to death) and when she wants to snuggle in close to me. Such good girls :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh there is nothing better than a nice quiet peacefull roll. When if feels like your own the whole world, and there is not a better moment than this.
    Everyone needs their peaceful time, but then its always good to come together again to share some good times of chase.
    We are keeping our paws crossed for all the forest animals, that they are safe,
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hehehe, I don't have a sibling to disturb me yet, but I do get to disturb the hamsters. BOL.

    What a coincidence, I've just been thinking about the bobcat, I hope he turns up soon! I sure hope all the wildlife survived the harsh weather you've been experiencing!

    Woofs,
    Pepsi

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now, that is one happy dog. Sometimes a picture says it all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just a few more weeks until Spring! Hope the bobcat made it. And the old mountain lion with the stiff gait. Magical photos, as always, especially of K.

    Jed & Abby

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the shot of the rabbit. Looks like it's sayin' "oh no, I've been caught".

    ReplyDelete
  18. Poor K. If it makes her feel any better, no pup here ever gets a moment without another pup doing the pounce.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow-what beautiful photos! I'm behind on reading your posts, so I spent some time catching up.

    I envy your "vim and verve"-I don't think I'd be out at sunrise in the snow and wind! Your dogs sure are lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your pictures are absolutely beautiful! Lots of love, Debbie and Holly

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such awesome shots of K! The look on her face after the pounce is priceless.

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!