Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Bobcat and Kitten Wednesday

Shyla and I have been enjoying our hikes in the autumn colors and cooler air.
Shyla's training is going stunningly well. We practice her everyday cues during our hikes. Here, she is doing a down-stay on top of Hug Hill. She is so "zen" about "stays" that she's already letting me go out of sight.
On our hikes, I have certain places where I take dogs and certain places where I don't due to wildlife presence. I don't take them to the area where the bears and mountain lions abound for everyone's safety. I must admit that my friends chuckle at the notion that I go to those places by myself but never take my dogs. I am very careful when I'm alone there... and I trust that the animals don't want to come near me. But, I don't trust that my dogs won't sniff out the animals, thereby getting us all in trouble - so that's my reason for not taking my dogs with me.

In that area, mountain lions seem to be multiplying! I have lots of photos but here's just one (wearing a radio collar for a study in our area).
In the same spot where this mountain lion stood, I've captured many photos of an adult bobcat who I believed was raising a kitten over the summer. I think that the mountain lions have caused her and her kitten to move to a different area, where I also have trail cameras. I captured photos of the two of them for the first time the other night.

The mother bobcat walked into the clearing, sniffed around, and then sat still for almost 2 minutes waiting for her kitten to catch up. Here is the first appearance of the kitten.
The kitten was very curious. Look at mom's eyes glowing in the background.
Full view of kitten's face.
Mom decided that it was time for the kitten to move on and walked toward the kitten. You can see the back of the kitten's black and white striped ears as s/he looked to mom.
The kitten bowed down to mom and then the two interacted for a bit.



The best portrait of the two of them...
Then, the kitten exited to the left, and mom peered up into the tree canopy above my camera.
I'm fairly certain that she climbed the tree based on the next sketchy photo.
Then, a while later, she walked in front of the camera carrying a tree squirrel who must have been sleeping up in the tree. I had no idea that bobcats would hunt down animals high in the tree branches.
I think that mom was heading off to share the meal with her kitten.

Believe it or not, shortly after I checked this camera, I saw a bobcat in person a few miles away. I believe that it was a male, based on his size. He was as interested in me as I was in him so I captured a whole series of photos of him. Here is one. I'll share more in the coming days.
These mountains are an incredible place to live for someone who loves wildlife.

36 comments:

  1. Oh. My. God. KB! My roommate and I are DYING right now! What a sweet face on that baby, and awesome color picture. Maybe that will happen for me soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shyla looks as if she is having a good time. Love the pictures of the bobcats especially the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That photo of the male is amazing! You can see every whisker and all the different colors in his fur. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your sweet girl and your "cats". What an amazing series of pictures with the bobcats.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shyla is such a beautiful girl, and those bobcat photos are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. KB I laughed out loud at the kitten picture up close :D What a little PUNK!

    Thanks for a great post with awesome pix as usual!
    xoxo
    suebeedoo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great captures, KB! How exciting to see the male in person. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your night photos are amazing, but the bobcat in colour. Superb. Shyla is each day coming on in literally leaps and bounds, you are forging a great bond together. Cheers, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like things are going so well with Shyla. I'm so happy for the both of you. These pictures you captured are spectacular! That kitten is just adorable and the live one of the cat is just amazing! What a wonderful place you live! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We just love hearing about Shyla's progress, makes us smile. And those bobcats are were incrediable to look at. You know MOM has never really thought about "where" we hike and backpack as far as animals are concerned. I guess for the last 12 years we have been luck.
    Blessings,
    Goose

    ReplyDelete
  11. It appears that kittens are kittens no matter which kind they are! What a cutie!

    I knew Shyla would come around fast! She's such a smart little thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A fantastic series of photos! Thanks for sharing them =0)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the color photo of the male bobcat, and be looking forward to more of your pics of him.

    How old do you think Bobcat Junior is? He is a cute one!

    So happy that you and Shyla are having such fun together.

    Cheers,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ann...from..Outer Banks of NC..said ..such an awesome fall day there Hope your babies have adjusted to the weather change....bet it gets real cold there...compared to ours here in NC...Nice pictures but I would keep my distance with the bobcats...she looks like she is on guard at all times...and I have read they can run 30 miles an hour...but they really prefer to walk...they are so cute though...but please be careful...HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness! Those are amazing photos. I am always so interested to see what'll turn up next! I really like the picture which has the kitten's ears at the bottom of the frame!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super great pictures...Shyla is beautiful. very interesting trial camera pictures of the bobcats. They are very shy here in Ssweden. The last one is super!!! Wow!! Do you have big tele lens? Normally you dont get them photographed here...

    ReplyDelete
  17. We are thrilled that your training is going so well, Shyla. You sound like the smartest girl!
    The Bobcat photos are incredible!

    Love ya lots,
    Mitch and Molly

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooo! What a lovely set of photographs! The kitten's face close to the camera is a favorite. The first photographs lures us to walk!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wild life photobombing. Have a terrific Thursday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love those lion and bobcat pictures!! The last one is great. Their faces are so similar to regular housecats.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your bobcat pictures are stunning. You're very fortunate to live in such a beautiful area of the country. Can't wait to see more pics.

    Woofs
    Nadine & goldens Neeli & Elle

    ReplyDelete
  22. we are so glad Shyla is doing so well....

    and the picture of the kitten right UP to the camera is too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great pictures! I would be torn between taking the dogs. I think I would feel more vulnerable without them. But you are right - the cats probably have little interest in just you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Holy Cow! Great bobcat photos! Not only a mom and kitten, but evidence of prey!!

    I wish we had so many bob-tailed cats 'round here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What great pictures!! I find myself holding my breath when I read this post--What amazing pictures and the wonder of your surroundings is always so captivating!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. We see some shots that might add to your donation fund. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gosh- those photos are so spectacular that you captured them!
    The baby is adorable!
    The last photo is beyond amazing.
    How in the world did you ever capture that shot?
    I can almost hear it breathing.
    And that Shyla girl- she is getting more beautiful each time I see her.
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love experiencing the wildlife through your blog!
    -Corbin

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Y'all,

    Playin' catch up on my readin'. We see lots of bobcats, but we've never been so close except in a car. Hope we never get that close to the big cat we've had lurkin' in our woods.

    Y'all come by now,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm a a hotel, so I have high speed internet, so I got to share these with The Lizard, and he said the same thing as me...

    OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Awesome captures!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!