Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Have Patience

Shyla is still recuperating, as my vet has reminded me, and she has to stay on a leash except for 2 minutes out of every hike. Apparently, her leg has what appears to be an old fracture from a "blunt force injury" so the biggest rule is to avoid letting Shyla bang her leg on a log or anything else.

We did a reconaissance hike this morning, looking for signs of wildlife. We found an amazing bear day bed, with a scat next to it, while the weather was still good. As we emerged from the depths of the forest after our exploring, Shyla said, "Please, please, let me run!".  I had to reply with "not yet, girl - have patience".
Then, the snow started to fly as Shyla and I arrived in the meadow where she's allowed to run for a couple of minutes each day. This photo was an accident but I love the effect of the slow shutter speed on the snowflakes on her head.
Then, it was time to run. Shyla seems to have realized that she gets a very short time to go wild each day. Yesterday, she appeared to have a Zen moment of contemplation while I asked her to sit-stay before running.
But then, less than a half second later, she was off like a runaway freight train.
Her ears were pinned backward by the wind of her running.
What an athlete. I can't wait until she can mountain bike with me.
The pattern was similar this morning, except for the flying snow. For her two minutes, she sprinted in circles around me like a high speed greyhound racer. I interrupted her to practice recalls or sudden "downs", but aside from that, she just zoomed!
Until she's allowed to bike with me, we'll keep on hiking, gradually increasing our overall distance and the time that Shyla spends off leash. In the vet's most recent message, she seemed to imply that Shyla had to "take it easy" for another 6-8 weeks! Holy Moly - we may not survive if that's true! And, there may be no zippers left in any jackets in our house! I called to clarify (hoping that the message was wrong) but I haven't heard back yet.

I guess that the upside is that we have lots of time for training, to teach Shyla to come when called even when some of the temptations of our forest are nearby. I'm already amazed at Shyla's obedience around wild animals so we have a good foundation!
I'm so glad that the big bull elk, who bugled all autumn at sunrise and sunset, survived the hunting seasons!

26 comments:

  1. Patience is difficult to have, but is a virtue or so they say. I am sorry that yours and Shyla's patience is being tested right now. Crossing fingers that all the jackets survive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your action shots are great and I am so glad to hear your bull made it through the hunt. The first picture of Shyla is a heart gripper.

    Bert and My Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  3. As hard as it will be to continue with taking it easy for another 6-8 weeks, it's sure as heck better than the alternative. Ya, I know, easy enough for me to say but I'm thinking on the positive side of things.

    Shyla is a beautiful girl and before you know it, you'll be able to let her run as much as she wants!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking at Shyla in the Zen photo
    I wish I know what she was thinking.

    xo Linda & Cinnamon

    ReplyDelete
  5. That first photo of Shyla takes my breath away! I can't imagine having 2 year old, 8lb Nola on such restricted activity, much less a lab puppy! I feel for you
    Nola's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the younger you are, the harder it is to be patient, but it's tough for all of us! Shyla is so pretty, and I have a feeling Bunny would love running with her. I'm also glad to hear that she's recovering from an injury. At least that's not a permanent situation. Maybe if you get enough snow, she could go out for some extra low impact fun. Playing in the water saved our bacon with Kuster when he was on crate rest, and snow might be a similar situation if you have some of the deep fluffy stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ann... from....Outer Banks of NC...said........TOGETHER.....a great place to be....with each day as a new day...life is a beautiful song....that brings happiness to the world....and these pictures absolutely show it........"I am only one but still I am one I cannot do everything but still I can do something I will not refuse to do the something I can do" HELEN KELLER..these are such beautiful words by her ...And you are such a blessing to everyone that knows you KB....HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh KB how do you resit those eyes???? My MOM said she is not sure she could do it. But I know you do it because it is best for her. She is so beautiful when she runs. I guess you will never know what the trauma was that cause her injury huh? But I just know that she will recover just fine. Hope the 6 to 8 weeks fly by.
    Blessings,
    Goose

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your girl is really becoming a beauty!! Her eyes are so expressive. I love the zoomie photos and pray her required "down time" goes quickly (for both of you) :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shyla is getting more and more beautiful each time we look at her!
    She is just bursting at the seams... just look at her go!
    We love the photo also of the snow flakes on her head,,, what a wonderful photo.
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shyla is a lovely bundle of energy! Looking forward to seeing lots of pictures of your adventures.

    Wyatt and Stanzie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous photos of Shyla!!! So difficult for you resist those eyes. And you have to keep her relatively quiet for 6 - 8 wekks???

    ReplyDelete
  13. That girl of yours is part greyhound!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Woof! Woof! Just beautiful action shots. Those eyes too. Hope you read our post today 12/7 and be able to join us on our 12/14 See Beautiful Blog Hop. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

    ReplyDelete
  15. We just love the look of pure joy as you're running with your ears pinned back, Shyla! Being patient is so hard sometimes.

    Love ya lots,
    Mitch and Molly

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the progression of pics - especially The Zen to The Zoom!

    Once again, thanks for sharing so much of your world with us!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Khyra's description "The Zen to The Zoom" is perfect!

    Woofs and Licks,
    Maggie Mae and MAx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Shyla is full of life - she runs like she is just filled with joy!!!

    Hope the 6-8 weeks fly by for you. Just can't imagine keeping my youngest boy down for that long either.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You're right 6-8 weeks is going to seem like forever for you two. But in the end, we all know that's what is best and nothing but the best for our furend Shyla!

    We too love the snow flakes dancing on her head.

    The Elk are beautiful animals.

    Hugs,
    Lily Belle & Muffin

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Shyla we don't like patience either. Patience takes forever
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well at least she isn't on complete crate rest or anything - so be glad for that! I know it is probably difficult for her to be on leash most of the time, but she must know you are doing it not to be cruel, but to protect her and allow her more time to heal. Hang in there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I agree - that second shot is very cool. Photo accidents can be wonderful things. But the action shots have so much energy and expression. I love them and they gave me a big smile. Anything that can brighten my lunch, sitting in my little office cubicle, is much appreciated. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. ooh ahh to the sunset images in your previous post and the big cat too!

    wonderful images in this. sending healing vibes to your pup.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow , great action pictures you did of Shyla...
    The elks are awsome...yes thats great that he survived...you have to have good males for a healty tribe

    ReplyDelete
  25. At least it's good news, that all Shyla needs is a bit more time to heal! And I can understand how frustrating it must be for all of you, having a lab myself. But the up side to all of this is that I suspect it will, in the end, teach Shyla a LOT more self-control, even if the learning itself is challenging for you all. Best wishes that your zippers survive her recuperation! :)

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!