Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Friday, December 21, 2012

Winter Solstice Celebration

I love Winter Solstice. I adore the winter light and how it makes the world glow. But I also love knowing that, for the next six months, the days will grow longer.

In celebration, I've made a tradition of seeing sunrise on Winter Solstice. This year, it was with sweet Shyla. As the sun peeked over the eastern hills, it kissed her face.
Then, she climbed onto a small boulder and relaxed. I'm so grateful to have Shyla in my life. She loves our mountains like I do, and our bond is growing stronger every single day.
For years, it's been my tradition to be out for sunrise on this date. Last year, I was with K, and we were still naive.
And, on that morning, I took a photo that has become one of my favorites. These are K's paws, illuminated by the rising sun. I think of it as the "Pillars of Strength" photo. These pillars of strength helped K and me through the coming months.
This morning, I felt an odd mixture of grief for K and absolute gratefulness for the young Lab who was by my side - this odd mixture has become familiar over the past months. Shyla has a heart of gold, just like her eyes.
Yesterday, the Runner and I agreed, whole-heartedly, that the arrival of Shyla in our lives was the best thing that happened in 2012.

22 comments:

  1. You took the words out of my mouth, "Shyla has a heart of gold, just like her eyes." I love how the snow clings to her.
    Blessings,
    Goose

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Shyla was the best thing about 2012, too! Man, would I love to see her be able to play with Kuster in the snow. In a lot of ways, she reminds me of him, even though they don't look anything alike.

    I love your tradition of greeting the sun on Winter Solstice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shyla is just such a beautiful dog
    Cotton

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a beautiful post. I hope you're feeling better
    Nola

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pix, great post! You must be feeling better too, are you?

    Cheers and hugs,

    Jo, Stella and Zkhat

    ReplyDelete
  6. We just love the picture of Shyla laying across the boulder. That is really beautiful.

    May 2013 be one of your best years yet!

    Hugs,
    Lily Belle & Muffin

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was so sweet, I love how much you love your dogs...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous photos. We love that morning light, too. Shyla just looks fabulous.

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Solstice, too, for those same reasons. And I agree, Shyla's appearance really does seem to be the best that that happened.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here's to the end of the dark days and the journey back toward the light.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wishing you and your family very very Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! Great photos and a very moving post. Happy Winter Solstice, and hugs from SoCal --

    L

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shyla has made you smile again....and that is so very important! Sure hope that you are feeling a little stronger each day!! As I said...it does take time.

    Gorgeous pics of both Shyla and K.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh and what a ray of sunshine and glimmer of hope that Shyla shed on 2012! Beautiful pictures of both of your girls. I hope your starting to feel better. I'm sorry you won't be able to visit with your Dad over Christmas. Better to be safe than sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful pictures of Shyla...yes indeed the best that happen for you for sure...... Hope you are better.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bless you, Shyla! We all love and adore you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. such a wonderful tribute to your new family member, and K who before her, and the others, had the most amazing life a dog could want...
    the pic of Shyla on the boulder is really special, just like her, and for you to understand that, is the best gift you could give to Shyla...it truly is amazing the bonds that you form with your dogs...
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a sweet post. Happy Winter Solstice.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am sorry I missed this post yesterday, I was helping mommy to feels better.
    We all loved this post. It brought tears and joy to our heart- as you share your feelings with us.
    How we wish we could be close - to romp with you- and share special memories by your side.
    But we really are close aren't we- because we know exactly what your heart is saying.
    We are thankful for Shyla too, and do you know what? She is thankful for you.
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!