Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Seize the Day

At sunrise, Shyla and I played with her red ring out in the forest.
She loves to run and leap in the early morning hours.
Then, after Shyla and I did a great ride, including trails that are usually "closed" due to deep snow at this time of year, I went on a long meandering mountain bike exploration, finding new links between some of my favorite trails. I couldn't bear to go inside. It was 50°F here and sunny - almost unheard of at this time of year.

Seemingly very soon after I finished my bike ride, it was time to take the Labraduo for their end of the day hike.
We found a quiet spot in the forest, and we played some "stay" and "recall" games. I tend to give R a head start these days. His younger sister is so intense about these games that she wins every time if they start together.
I love seeing them run!

To mix things up, sometimes they start side-by-side. And it's amazing to see how intense they look as they sprint out of a "sit" toward me.
I've learned over the years that I have to keep practicing basic skills like a recall so my dogs "remember" to listen when there is a huge distraction like a fleeing elk.

After our games, we were treated to one of the most incredible sunsets I've seen during this pseudo-winter. I'll just show you the last photo, as the light was fading, in today's post, and I'll save the rest of them for tomorrow.
Based on how tired I am, I think that we lived life to the fullest today! As a great tee-shirt highlighted by my friend Jean says, "Consider this Diem Carped". I think that applies to our day!

21 comments:

  1. what a nice warm day for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We think those warm temps are headed our way - can't wait to get out for some good long walks with the pups. Gorgeous sunset!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have had the unseasonable weather also. Great for the pugs! Hope that doesn't translate to a subzero January like last year.
    hugs
    Mr Bailey & Hazel

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was crazy warm here too. Almost 60 degrees. I think I saw the daffodil bulbs grow 3" today!

    Wyatt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi KB, it was supposed to get in the 50's today, but started out very cold when I walked Hunter this morning and the wave clouds kept us cool all day. The 60's are coming though and I'm loving the warm weather! Sending you and the pack hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your weather is unheard of this time of year! Glad you are squeezing every drop of daylight that you can. The intensity of the "kids" is the same look one sees on professional athletes of musicians totally "in the groove."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you can still get out and enjoy the beautiful day. Love the tee shirt slogan! BOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you had a wonderful day and the pictures are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to do a serious post today, including watching an 8 minute video I was dreading to see if I should put a link on my blog (it actually was not nearly as bad as Blackfish, not even close). So I was ready and then some to have my mood lifted. You, R, and Shyla have done the trick with your lovely day and sunshine smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We enjoyed this post and pictures so much. It was like being right there beside them.
    stella rose

    ReplyDelete
  11. You definitely Carpe your Diems! The colors in that first photograph are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a perfect day to me.

    Aroo to you,
    Sully

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE the photos of R and Shyla together!!!
    KZK

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so happy for you! The weather down here is gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. thank you for reminding us to live our life to the fullest!
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a great phrase. I'm going to have to remember that one!!

    I need to remember that recalls need constant work. Macy is prone to panic and does NOT listen when she is in a full blown panic!

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!