Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Thankful that Springtime Reappeared!

Spring is here again. I wonder how many starts to spring we'll get? The hummingbirds, the Duo, and I all had breakfast on the deck this morning. Actually, I was so excited to sitting outside watching the birds that I did very little eating and a lot more snapping photos!

I love watching the aerial acrobatics of hummers. They fan out their tails to slow down for landing on the feeder.

Then, despite a healthy amount of snow still on the trails, Shyla and I went out for a fat bike ride. I was so thrilled to be doing something that made my back feel good as opposed to trudging through snow! I think that Shyla was happy too!

I made a point of visiting a spot where some swallows are nesting. A bluebird pair had chosen this tree hole early in the spring but the swallows threw them out.

I captured a series of photos of the swallow pair that made me laugh! They appeared to be sharing a branch amicably.

Then they turned and started screaming at each other!

He started to get in her face and her beak opened wider.

The "argument" went on and on. This was about the tenth photo in the series.

Then, their vocalizing tailed off.

And they just looked at each other.

With their anger spent, they scanned the world, and one swallow spotted me. I wondered if they were embarrassed that I saw their little tiff?!?
It made me laugh because it reminded me of a long-married couple who can argue vociferously with each other and then let it go almost right away.

I am thankful for the reappearance of springtime. The sunshine warming my face felt luxurious and seeing the snow melt off our veggie gardens made me smile. Nothing has sprouted yet but there's hope for the near future.

Thank you to Brian for hosting the Thankful Thursday blog hop.

24 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Oh I adore watching the birdies... and this was a delight to share; the joy of spring. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your pictures of the swallow pair! They're such beautiful birdies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We also have had days like that here, a few days of spring, a few days of summer and even this week a few days with the heat on. Weird weather, but did enjoy your pictures. stella rose

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a funny set of photos. I had no idea that birds did that. So how much snow do you still have?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has melted exponentially fast. As of two days ago, I was still wading through snow up to my shins. As of today, everything but the north-facing slopes was down to only patches of snow. Amazing!

      Delete
  5. LOl...The birds are hilarious. It's amazing to me that the hummers we see in Arizona in the winter, could very well be the hummers you see in summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures of the swallows. They flutter around so much we never get a good chance to see them. We think ours have orange on their backs
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such beautiful specimens of avian wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Birds having a tiff, so funny, and you captured it all so well. Vege gardens, do you ever cover the garden beds with heavy duty plastic on huge hoops of plastic piping? We do, and so does our daughter in the far south, puts frost cloth over, then the plastic, weighs it down with lengths of timber, and it gives a mini climate inside. Sometimes the snow has to be shaken off, but it helps with those early spring veges and gives them a good start to life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to cover my gardens but it didn't seem to make much difference. I should look into it again because I might be able to grow a greater variety of things. I've transitioned to growing things that can handle a cold snap (greens, root vegetables).

      Delete
  9. Yes, Spring is finally here! Hopefully you are done with snow there! Great photos!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I love the swallow photos - that really made me smile! I have to say it was tough coming back to the chilliness of NH after the warmth of SC. But at least everything is green and blossoming, and there has been a little bit of sun to warm us some.
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness! I love your swallows series! They are such gorgeous, active birds!
    Shyla looks so good!!!
    KZK

    ReplyDelete
  12. the swallow pictures are made us smile!!!!
    hugs
    Mr Bailey, Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  13. We love birds here too, we don't see to many so this was nice.
    xo Astro

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the photo of the humming bird! We've been thinking about getting a feeder! Yay for Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hummer feeders are so much fun. You should try one (except if you're in bear country - then you need to be careful)!

      Delete
  15. Wonderful post. I loved your capture of birds being birds. So lovely. Glad you're back on the bike.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A bird fight! Now that is pretty funny!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for joining the Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!, we appreciate you being here!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The bird argument made me laugh - one of those pictures definitely had a vibe of "Why did I ever marry you?"
    Here, each goldfinch at my feeder is so busy shouting off every other goldfinch, much time is wasted when they could all be eating.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This must be common behavior with swallows. I caught a similar sequence in 2007. You can see it here:
    https://birdbrainsanddogtales.wordpress.com/2013/05/08/wild-bird-wednesday-tree-swallows-at-mendon-ponds-park/

    Glad to see your weather is warming up a bit.

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!