Wildlife footage: 2016-2018 (in progress)

▼

Monday, August 22, 2016

The Moose are among us

Although we rarely see them in person, moose are still wandering our forest near our house. My trail cams see them but I do not. To be honest, I'm happy with it being that way!

This is a young female who has been walking far and wide in our area this summer. I bet it's hard to find good moose food in a drought year! I loved how she posed for a photo in this one. Since it was the 4th of July, I also found myself wondering what she thought of the town's kabooms later in the evening. I hope that the fireworks didn't scare her.

Several different males are also nearby. Most are very young with small nubs of antlers. A new one who is older and has bigger antlers has arrived this summer. He's been hitting all the watering holes. I have a short video of him in a couple of places in our forest. His dewlap is SO long, almost like a fashion statement!

Enjoy the video either here or at Youtube.

I am hopeful that our moose are learning the ways of humans and learning how to avoid having our paths cross. I want them to flourish but without too much risk to us. It seems like things are heading in that direction.

12 comments:

  1. They are sure something and I hope they are wise in their ways too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, look at those antlers!!! A very impressive creature!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to see the moose again. And even better that they're at a distance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We here Bullwinkle could be very aggressive
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  5. The animals are lucky to have those springs available. He sure took a long drink.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They freak me out a bit, but they sure are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMD!!! He is SO powerful! And soooo handsome! I thinks he is makin' a fashion statement BTW! Looks like the skinny ties of the 90's! BOL
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. How nice that he gets right up to your camera - I've never been close enough to hear a moose breathe before!
    I wonder if you'll find "sheds" next year, since you know where the moose are spending their time. It's pretty exciting to find one, and finding the pair is a thrill :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a long drink! We laughed at his moose burp☺

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blog is so nice. You are always taking such an amazing pictures!!! Keep posting more!!!
    Dana

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!