Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Saturday, August 11, 2018

Caturday: The Mountain Lions are still Thirsty

A couple of days ago, I had the very strong feeling that a mountain lion had come through our neck of the woods. I hadn't yet seen a clear-cut sign that I consciously noted... but I must have noticed signs subconsciously.

Then, I started paying close attention to the places where I know that mountain lions mark. Sure enough, big "scrapes" had been left under Ponderosa Pine trees where a male mountain lion had kicked backward with his hind paws and then urinated in the scrape. Males do this very frequently while females rarely do it.

Later, after I'd left Shyla at home, I checked my trail cams on the route where I thought that the lion had traveled. Bingo, I'd hit the jackpot. This was where my cams captured the first video footage. I bet that this site is starting to look familiar to regular readers!


The lion made a circuitous route to his favorite drinking spot where I've shown you mountain lions drinking a number of times.

And, to my surprise, he was still active in the middle of the day. He must have been hungry. And, I was not too far behind him - I really didn't expect that he was still awake close to noon!
The photo above caught my attention because you can see the paw pads on the hind right paw. As someone who loves to track, it was cool to see the paw as a lion walked!

Then, he was still in the nearby area after sunset that night - again taking a long thirsty drink of water.

He looked in that direction, and then he departed. I hope that he found something to eat that night.

Most of this was from video cams. You can watch the videos either here or at Youtube. Enjoy!

13 comments:

  1. I hope he fed, I assume they are going into town in Boulder and going inside houses because they are lacking enough food and water. so sad for these gorgeous cats

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the water dripping off his chin as he was looking around to check out his situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A big, handsome guy! Your captures are a treat. Hope all is well with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what a fine looking kitty....
    we are in awe of the photos and the wonderful video
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. A daylight photo, and so warm, ( for us at least with a Celsius of about 22.5) this is a winner for sure.Are they moving into your territory because of the smoke further away?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What magnificent animals they are. It's so great that you are able to capture them for us all to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What an amazing look into the secret life of a mountain lion. He is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so amazing! I feel like we have a secret look into their lives!
    KZK

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous animal. It is a little worrisome to see one out in the mid-day sun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. He sure is a handsome creature. We hope he is always out there AHEAD of you:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh KB, he is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such delicate drinking and scratching with remarkable 'authority.' Love the exposed paw pad!

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!