Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Monday, May 28, 2018

Meeting Moose on our Morning Ride

On a recent morning, I was pedaling up a steep hill when Shyla sat in the middle of the trail and wouldn't budge. I thought that it was probably a hiker ahead of us (Shyla is scared of hikers, especially ones with dogs). Because we haven't met a moose on a trail in a couple of months, it didn't even cross my mind that it might be a moose.

But it was. In fact, it was two moose, a mother and a yearling calf. The calf quickly backed into the forest so I got no photos of her. The mother was looking straight at me when I went ahead to see what had made Shyla halt.
Normally, a mother moose staring straight at me would cause me to scurry away. But I wanted to try something different on this day. I stood behind a big tree, and I kept talking to her in a very calm and soft voice.

She immediately acted less worried and went back to foraging on aspen trees. It's funny how the tallest animal in our forest is always reaching up for stuff to eat.

After each reach upward, she'd come down with twigs in her mouth. You can see them barely sticking out of the side of her mouth.

In my interest in her activities, I forgot to keep on talking. She looked straight at me again.
I resumed talking calmly and stayed behind my tree.

My talking (an idea from an experience moose-watching friend) made her unworried again. You can see another twig hanging from her mouth.

At that point, I decided that I'd better not push my luck. I snapped one more photo, and I turned to leave.

However, I had one more problem. Where was Shyla?
I spotted her quite close to me, hiding among the shrubs. What a good dog she is! And she's so smart when it comes to moose. Yes, Shyla, I know that I shouldn't aggravate them because they might charge us.... just like they've done in the past.

Although I am afraid of moose, I still love watching them. They are the goofiest looking animal in our forest - so goofy that I have trouble remembering that they are dangerous!

I called Shyla from her hiding place, and we set out to find a route that gave the moose a wide berth as we continued heading up higher.

18 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    I am always talking to the animals, even spiders. There's a reason I'm called Wild YAM!!! Shyla, hearing your calm voice, would also have been affected positively by this experience, I am certain of it. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The goofy moose always reminds us of angel Mitch so the moose will always be a favorite of ours. Good for you for hiding, Shyla!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a beautiful mothers face the moose has, I love each and every photo and Shyla in the bushes is the icing on the cake. so sweet.. I wonder what the mama thought of the talking. great idea

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to have a chat with the moose!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMCs you are a moose whisperer!
    Gorgeous photos! Should be in NatGeo
    Hugs Madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh My, that is the chance of the season, I wonder if the calf was like Shyla, and so close, just hidden a bit. Shyla is really wonderful in the way she stops, and doesn't run, and hunkers down among the trees and greenery. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How interesting. I guess the calm voice things works for most species. Panic and rushing around is never a good thing. Fun photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know that about talking to them. I always loved seeing moose when we lived in Alaska, for the same reasons you did, and was also afraid of being charged by them, that happened once when I was once in my car...

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun that you had a conversation with a moose:) Wonder how that would work with a bear? LOL. Seriously we so enjoyed this post, and we love the look on Shyla's face as she sits behind the shrubs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was an incredible experience. I would be hiding with Shyla. Don't press yourluck. You may have just met a moose in a good mood.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done Shyla! Yes those are great pics. Our mom also is scared of moose encounters. Now Bert's mom is another matter!

    Keep Calm & Bark On!

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love seeing the moose!! Amazing to see one so up close
    hugs
    Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah. I love this time you had with momma moose. Shyla looked as happy about it though as Bert is. I love the respect they both seem to have for the moose.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMD, what FABulous shots! And a great experience!!! Good job Shyla! You are a much smarter doggie than I.....☺
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a cool idea to talk to her! I don't think Luke would be calm at all if we encountered a moose, what a good girl Shyla is!
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
  16. ME ENCANTAN ESTAS FOTOS!!!
    LOS PERROS UN AMOR!!!
    SALUDITOS

    ReplyDelete
  17. You capture so many magic moments,,, even seeing Shyla hiding in the leaves!
    Beautiful1
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!