Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Bandit the Black Bear Demolishes my Trail Camera

Our young male black bear was drinking from a spring when he noticed my trail camera. Unfortunately, unlike many bears, he didn't just sniff it. He killed it!

When I arrived at the site, I saw my cam broken into two pieces, a padlock pried open, and the front part of the camera on the ground. At first, I was furious, thinking that a bad human had done it. Then, I noticed that the memory card was still in the camera, and that made me think that maybe it wasn't a human who destroyed it.

Indeed, the memory card showed that "Bandit", the young male bear who I introduced you to yesterday had attacked the camera. I felt so much better that a bear had destroyed the camera rather than a human. After all, I put my trail cams right in the midst of where bears live out their lives - so this type of thing is expected. Young ones like Bandit get curious, and they use their strength to fully investigate a camera. It was my mistake not to have the camera in a bear case.
Bandit
The trusty camera kept recording video until the "end".  The two parts in the photo below were attached to each other before the cam was attacked... I wish that I'd thought to take a photo of the camera at the scene but I was a little too rattled to remember to do that.

Here's the video of Bandit killing the camera (from the camera's point of view) plus a video of him attempting the same thing with another camera on a snowy day a couple of weeks later. I think that bear security cases are becoming essential due to this youngster!

You can watch the video here or at Youtube.

It's rather shocking and scary to see Bandit's teeth attacking the camera from the point of view of the camera. I am generally not worried about bears when I'm in the forest because they are so timid. This video gave me some idea of the power they possess. We are lucky that they are normally timid!

33 comments:

  1. The inside of his mouth did make my heart stop! What a great video to have, even though it cost you the camera!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to turn the volume down!!! Scary stuff, he needs some serious parental training. So sorry about the trail cam, guess it is for the scrap heap now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang, that Bandit was on a mission and a successful one at that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe the camera kept recording, this would make great ad for them to use... yowsa Grandpa what big teeth you have.. Bandit was well named

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, makes you wonder what on earth he was thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He sure didn't like that camera spying on him. YIKES!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great video! Sorry about your camera but still really cool. I wonder what he thinks? Doesn't like the human smell? The camera is too noisy for him? Chewying gum? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You better leave him a big ball to play with
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quite incredible - it makes you wonder just what alerted him to the presence of the camera, when he's been around it before and not destroyed it. Maybe he thought it was something to play with !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I have told you this story before, but . . .

    Because we live so remote, there is no wired internet and very weak cellular service. So, we receive our internet via a WISP - basically a series of transmitting towers relaying internet to each other and finally to the house. Since the towers are placed on mountain tops, they are powered via solar panels that charge batteries. Lightning strikes can take out a tower and we have to wait until a crew can get up to the tower to rebuild it.

    Anyway, the technicians were showing me one day why my tower was not working. A bear had broken into its base, stolen the batteries, and attempted to taste them. Fortunately, it lost interest and left the batteries (which are quite big), but not before leaving some impressive teeth marks.

    P.S. - Love the video!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad it was the camera and not you! That Bandit doesn't like to be on video. Perhaps he thinks you aren't videoing him at the best angle? Great footage but poor camera. What an owey!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The camera was pretty good in that it wasn't destroyed even more! Yes, Bandit was taking that camera down!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  13. love this video. glad he was working on your camera and not you. stay safe, and keep sending us good stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Guess Bandit doesn't like the flashy beast any more that the pups do:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well...that's the only way we want to get close to a bear's mouth and claws! Too bad for the camera. We don't think bandits like to have evidence of their antics. Great footage, though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We've had many destroyed bird feeders from bears, so it was kind of fun to see one in action. :) Actually, we did once watch one tear a bird feeder from limb to limb many years ago, from the safety of our house.
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great movie. Sorry about the camera tho. I think you should send the footage to the manufacturer. Maybe they'll give you some money off a new one! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is incredible!!!
    Blessings,
    Buddy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! That is so interesting that he noticed it and destroyed it! It's a puzzle toy for bears! I'm sorry that you lost your trail cam! What a bummer!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sorry you lost a camera but it was an interesting view of the inside of a bears mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes, he is a repeat offender and none of your cameras are safe without the bear proof covers. Sorry you lost your equipment, but like you it's better that a bear destroyed it with no real malice or mischief. Just curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The sound had Mabel barking with curiosity!
    hugs
    Mr Bailey, Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  23. OMD, that was amazing, and scary! I'm sorry abouts your camera, butts you got some amazing footage! Ma was LOL at the bear marking the tree! omd, too funny!
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  24. I guess Bandit was stating his right to privacy but didn't know the "spy" had more than one cam!

    ReplyDelete
  25. 😂 Sorry your camera got destroyed but that is an awesome video! Kind of worth it! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Well, ya know, if I were pole dancing in the forest like that, I wouldn't want it published on the Internet without my consent either. I mean, nobody pole dances for free. Am I right? tee hee... WOW, just, WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  27. When he sets his mind to something, nothing can stop him...

    ReplyDelete
  28. OMG, that video is amazing!!!! WOW!!!!!
    KZK

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sorry about the loss of your camera. Great film though, if it's any consolation.

    ReplyDelete
  30. My, Bandit, what nice white (and big) teeth you have!

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!