Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Monday, June 18, 2018

Wildlife Monday - A Mama Moose and her Playful New Calf

This is the first spring that I have had a trail camera on a pond. I wasn't exactly sure what to expect, and the first photo that I looked at on the cam was this.
Intriguing! A cow moose sprinting out of the water so fast that she made a big wave. I immediately wondered what could possibly make a moose run so fast!

The video that followed showed her running around maniacally - and even adding a backward kick to her running at one point. I've seen a moose run so fast under only one circumstance - when a mama moose was trying to warn me to stay away from her and her calf. I wondered if there might be an invisible calf nearby.

Footage from the next day showed that this cow moose did indeed have a very young calf with her.

Over the course of two days, the footage showed me that this calf was incredibly energetic.

The Mama Moose tried to keep up with the calf... but to no avail.

At one point, the Mama Moose finally corralled her calf, after the calf had sprinted around and in the ponds seemingly endlessly. You can see how riled up the calf was based on the body language and open mouth!

I have a fun short video for you of this pair as the calf sprinted like a gazelle and then even tried to nurse (which provoked heart-rending moans from Mama Moose). The video ended when the pair moved on to someplace else but I really hope that they come back!

22 comments:

  1. the moose cow looks very young to me too... is that their common look or is it a teenage mama?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing, mainly because the cow looks slender. I thought that perhaps she looked that way because she recently shed so much fur. Perhaps someone with more moose experience than me can share their thoughts?

      Delete
  2. It was sure fun to see them together and that little one sure is something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. help I am smiling and I can't stop. all that energy makes me glad I am not that mama... wow and wow and wow again

    ReplyDelete
  4. So adorable! That video makes me happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That baby is impossibly cute, they are all legs. I hope the mom lets the little one nurse more than that. Sometimes they get mastitis and it's painful for them. And as to the top question. The mom is probably 2 or 3. I don't think they breed until then. Since your area is seeing a moose comeback, she may be 2 since there aren't many cows for the bulls to choose from. Just my theory. I hope they come back to that spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. I think that your estimate sounds just right. Just in case you're checking back, how old do you think that calf is? My neighbors reported seeing a calf of this year for the first time about a month ago. Does a month old sound about right to you for this calf?

      Delete
  6. That little one is so cute. We hope mom and baby do well this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So dang cute! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The moose baby is so cute and looks like a handful. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hari om
    :-)
    Just to say am readkng, but due to travelling with only thr tablet, comments ard going to be less... and probs illegible! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you surely heard us squeal with glee at these photos and video.
    THank goodness mom didn't have twins that would be a lot to keep up with. Little calf was enjoying the cool plunge but mom says No nursing when I sipping
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know we love those wildlife shots
    Snorts,
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mum just cannot cope!!! The baby is so full of energy, and what long legs,This is an amazing video, and hope we see more of the new family.Love the pond and green grass, a beautiful spot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh!!! That baby is the dearest thing EVER!!!
    KZK

    ReplyDelete
  14. We were wondering about how young the cow moose is - she appears to be in great shape for just having had a baby:) Fun video, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd say our calf is not more than two weeks old and I also want to say that I am SO JEALOUS. I havnt even seen a cow yet this year let alone a little one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun and sweet mom and baby pair.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is just to cute to see the calf having so much fun!
    hugs
    Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!