Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Let the arctic games begin!

Today marked the true opening of winter - snow carpeted skylights, steelshot gray skies, and 9°F (-13°C) frigid air. I knew that this was a key point in my season. If wimped out today, I'd start a trend. So, I started the inexorable process of readying for a mountain bike ride.

About 2" of powdery flakes had blanketed the world overnight, muting all colors except the white ground, silvery naked tree branches, and gray sky.
The same aspen tree blazed with glory just two weeks ago on a sunny and warm day.I searched the house for my absolute warmest riding clothes and for my blaze orange gear. Alas, today marked the first day of rifle season for elk. Usually, the elk remain up in the thin air of the alpine world through the first few rifle seasons but this year might be different. Arctic weather has already swept away all semblance of warmth and the easy summer life. The high peaks, where the elk wander throughout the summer, already wear an insulating layer of snow. I suspect that our 100-strong elk herd will arrive in the neighborhood for the winter before too long - a few critical weeks earlier than usual relative to the rifle seasons.

And, with the arrival of rifle season, we might run into hunters in our forest. So, K and I donned our blaze orange garb today. K wore an orange vest and snowflakes all over her face.
And, I wore my fluorescent orange jacket. I won't be moving unseen, like a secretive mountain lion, while wearing this outfit.Once we took the plunge into the winter world, I was surprised to find that I was warm. At no time did I feel chilled or uncomfortable. I think that I'm adapting already!

On days like today, I have moments of pondering "Why do I do this?". However, those moments always strike when I'm in the warmth of my house looking out through the windows. Once I'm immersed in the forest, I remember why I do it. I love the forest. I love the mountains. I love exploring. I love tracking animals. And, I love swooshing along with my girl, K, by my side.
And, another minor detail is that riding my mountain bike seems to be the best physical therapy for my twitchy back that money can buy.

Today, the aspen groves didn't radiate brilliance like they did just 3 days ago.
But, they have a stark and stunning beauty in the winter.
It was shocking today, truly shocking, but I seemed to be the *only* mountain biker out enjoying the elements. I cannot understand why!

Today, I scanned for animal tracks in the ideal tracking snow, hoping to see the clawed tracks of a bear heading for hibernation or the round tracks of a stalking lion. But, I saw neither. I did see lots of rodent and rabbit tracks. And, to my utter dismay, elk tracks marched across our land. These robust tracks bit all the way down to the pine needled forest floor, leaving deep divots, likely from a heavy bull elk. K watched from behind my stationary bike wheel while I tracked the elk.
My heart felt heavy as I followed the bull's path. He's at extreme risk of falling to a hunter's bullet down at this elevation so early in rifle season. Moreover, I'm at extreme risk of getting into dangerous arguments with hunters who insist upon traipsing across our land to slaughter these animals. I tried, and succeeded, in locking that thought process in a safe deposit box for the rest of the ride. No point in playing out a scene in my mind that may not even occur.

As I rode the singletrack that dominates our forest, my mind and muscles became laser-focused on negotiating the snow-covered obstacles. Soon, I realized that my mind hadn't wavered from my path and monitoring K's whereabouts in miles. That's another reason why I head out onto the trails on days like today. Riding snowy trails and feeling my muscles working hard is a form of meditation that unclutters my mind of the mundane thoughts that often occupy it.Out in the isolated forest, life is cut in clear lines - either you stay upright or you don't, either you possess the power to climb a hill or you don't, either you make it home in one piece or you don't. In contrast, the real world, contradictory factors must be weighed and balanced to reach a decision. It's easy to get mired down in details and lost in a maze of information. But, while I ride my bike out in the forest, on a 9°F day with slippery snow, I automatically make snap decisions that determine whether I crash or smoothly clear obstacles. Prevaricating by tentatively trying to find a safe path through a rock garden is a certain road to free fall. And, in weather like today's, I realize that free fall could be a very dangerous route down the mountain.

So, I ride, and I'll keep riding all winter long. I simply love riding and being with my K too much to let some harsh weather stop me.

8 comments:

  1. Once again, stunning!

    Simply stunning!

    Tank woo fur sharing!

    Hugz&Khysses,
    Khyra
    PeeEssWoo: And the weather even postponed The Phillies/Rokhkies Game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I think this marks the first time that I've visited your blog where I'm NOT envious! I don't know what we'd do if we had to deal with rifle season! Well, at least I wouldn't know what to do with Marge!

    Nevertheless, beautiful pictures, and I'm so glad you decided to get out there despite the cold, orange suit and all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You explain the draw of the outdoors, no matter the weather, so well. It is a place where thoughts are clearer and things just make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there KB and what a pleasure to visit you!
    GREETINGS FROM SOUTH AFRICA!
    ...and thanks for paying us a visit too.
    What an absolutely beautiful blog you have! I have paged through a couple of your posts and, despite us being in a city here, we are ironically 'speaking the same language' (I grew up in the African bush!)
    Our worlds are truly poles apart: Not only in distance, but in climate,fauna & flora but both have their own unique beauty!
    Thank you so much for sharing your world with us and for all those beautiful pictures (for stopping your bike to take them too!)
    I most certainly will be back! Hope we can be friends!
    Lots of licks
    MAXDOG IN SOUTH AFRICA

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful.....the contrasting pictures are breathtaking....yes, nature and all it's glory...does a body and soul good!
    did you mount your camera on a rock to take the pic of you and K? love it!
    have a great sunday...
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, yes, the decorative orange clothing. Since we do so much hiking in National Forests - where hunting is legal - we are decked out in our orange very often this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Snowed here, too, but now it's all melted. It will do that until the middle of next month and then hit with a vengeance and stay until April or May...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like those "before" and "after" photos. K seems to be keeping warm by running as fast as possible! You're a better woman than I to be out riding at those temps!

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!