Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Canines, wild and domestic!

Our local coyote pack seems to have grown substantially since their pups were born in the spring. Yesterday afternoon, they yipped and serenaded from very nearby, sending my dogs into a tizzy. R did his best imitation of a coyote, howling with abandon.

Yesterday, I had a funny coyote interaction. I was sneaking across a road on trail known almost only by locals. I didn't want anyone in a car to see me so I could avoid advertising the trail. So, I waited until I didn't hear any cars and sprinted to cross the road. To my amusement, a coyote was employing exactly the same strategy from the other side of the road. He and I sprinted past each other. He barely gave me a second glance in his hurry to make into the hidden safety of the forest that I'd just left. I chuckled - I act more like a coyote than I might have guessed!

On our evening hike yesterday, we headed out early and both dogs were leashed to avoid coyote interactions. However, we had the pleasure of running into some former neighbors on the trails... and stood around talking for more than an hour. Consequently, the Labraduo and I finished our hike in rapidly darkening twilight.
This morning, the Duo and I headed out for a mountain bike ride early. They sprinted ahead enthusiastically in the cool morning air.
We started on a west-facing slope, following a thin dirt path through pines and aspens. Within this past week, that slope has not yet been sunny on my morning rides because the sun is arcing lower and lower in the sky. While on that trail, K did a recall, galloping wildly around a curve, on the trail.
Later, we emerged from the shade and found a lookout point for a rest and photo.
To the west, we saw the moon dipping toward the almost snow-free mountains. Their snowy cloaks will return soon!
After dropping the Duo off at home, I headed toward the hillside where my stolen wildlife cameras formerly stood. I was frustrated to see all sorts of animal signs, indicating that I would have captured great footage this week if I still had those cameras. In front of where one of my stolen cameras had been, a bear had deposited a scat. In front of the other former camera site, a mountain lion had scraped the ground with his hind paws, leaving a scent post announcing that this was his territory. In the photo below, the cat had faced toward the bottom of the frame and kicked the dirt toward the top of the frame.
After lamenting all the great wildlife action that I'd missed due to thievery, I managed to put it out of my head and enjoy my ride. However, during my ride, I kept stopping to search for hidden sites for my trail cameras. No doubt, that area attracts our most exciting animals.

I passed what I think was a crab apple tree still hanging onto its fruit - it was in a clearing that probably once harbored a mining cabin. I'm surprised that the animals haven't eaten the apples yet.
Then, as I rolled downhill, I spotted what I thought was a big boulder in the trail. In fact, it was the biggest puffball mushroom that I've ever seen, a testament to our moist summer. It was the size of a bowling ball.
Then, I spotted a sign that I didn't want to see yet - the first yellowing aspens. Summer is so fleeting at this elevation!
When I saw the aspens with a yellow tinge, I thought that I was near the end of my ride, laboring up a steep forest road toward home. However, ahead of me, I heard gunshots start blasting from the thick forest. They were regularly spaced, like the sound of a person target shooting. I stopped to contemplate the safest move. I know that 98% of shooters are diligent about safety, and, in all likelihood, I could pass on the forest road without worries. However, the other 2% scare me to death - shooting along roads, across roads, and without backdrops. I stood silently pondering my decision because riding past the shooter would be a 10 minute ride home and reversing my route would be an hour ride home. Finally, I reluctantly turned around. It just wasn't worth the risk to save 50 minutes. On the bright side, I got more of a workout than I'd bargained for!


  1. That is one ginormous mushroom! Were you not tempted to go over and poke that thing?

    I'm glad you at least got a workout! Sheesh! I know that it's definitely better to be safe than sorry.

    Part of me is ready to see Autumn arrive, bringing a bit of relief from the heat, but I hate being cooped up in the winter that's always right behind it.

  2. That is ONE freakin' big puffball!

    As for why did the coyote cross the road....

    Thanks again for the great pics and commentary!

  3. Loved the coyote story. So many coyotes are thin and haggard looking, but we have a gorgeous picture on our den wall. A local professional photographer captured this healthy, full coated coyote - an awesome picture.

  4. Coyote KB - love it:)

    Glad you took the long way home - do be safe.

    Love that photo of K and R - they look like they are thoroughly soaking in the beauty of the land.

  5. That is SOME Puffball! Can't believe your aspens are turning already. With all the cold we're having, ours still seem to be holding green. It will happen suddenly, I know. Thanks for the heads-up about the Larkspur! Take Care.

  6. We clearly share identical views about certain sorts of guys with guns. It's always the 2% that get you.

  7. What a fabulous day you all had!

    Fascinating that the coyote was emulating your road crossing technique ;)

    Such beautiful vistas you have there. Looking forward to see them when the next season takes hold. Still beautiful yet in a different pallet.

    Are those puff ball mushrooms the same ones I'm thinking of that put out a cloud of spores when you touch them?

    Glad you took the long way home. Some humans shoot ready aim. Dyslexic gunmen perhaps? :)

    Followin your tails,

  8. Hope that you found some other good sites for your cameras, but that's a shame that so much is going on where your cameras once were.

    The puffball is amazing! WOW!

  9. Your recognition of coyote traits in youreself made me smile!
    We have the same giant puff balls here, they are very firm and dense until spring, when they then release puffs of spores. I'm told they are edible.

  10. Stella loves the winter and so do I. I get much more walking done in the winter than I do in the 85-90 degree weather!

    Beautiful pups, beautiful photos!

    Jo and Stella

  11. I don't think I've ever seen a bad photo on your blog. What a beautiful place to live!

  12. Roo,

    I do believe that those are the same Puffballs as put out the cloud of spores - but they're not doing it yet. They're still quite firm. Wanda seems to agree - and she's probably more of a mushroom expert than I am!

  13. Boy, that last paragraph leaves me so unsettled. But I think it was a good choice to increase your workout.

    I've felt a touch of fall in the air a couple of times in the evening during the last week. More aspens will begin showing that radiant gold if it stays warm and dry!

    That puffball! Holy moly!

  14. Oh, dear. If that isn't the equivalent of why did the chicken cross the road ... I don't know what is. Too funny.

  15. Hey there Coyote KB! :)
    I'm trying to catch up on my look like you are really enjoying your countryside despite the camera incident! By the way, I love that mushroom/toadstool!
    Sending lotsaluv and mind the bears!

  16. wow, such an adventure! I am so sorry to hear about your camera, that plain sucks!


If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!