Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Coyote wriggling post

I love coyotes. They are the most resilient wild canines that I can imagine. For some reason, they've chosen one spot, in front of one of my wildlife cameras, as their "snow wriggling spot" this year. It started when the female coyotes went into heat (around February 13), and has continued ever since. Notice the dates on the photos.
Does the next one look like the "Cheoah Snow Slide" to anyone else?
This coyote just realized that his photo was being taken...
There are many many more photos than those three because the coyotes have wriggled in this spot almost every night recently. Our R has wriggled there once (the only time he was there). I chose to put my camera in this spot because there are numerous bobcat markings underneath the snow. I was hoping to get lots of bobcat photos...
By "bobcat markings", I mean scraped spots with bobcat scat in them. However, I doubt that's what is making the canines wriggle. I suspect the wriggling is a form of communication by leaving their scent in the snow.

It makes me think that, when our dogs wriggle in the snow, it might have more meaning than we think. They might not simply be acting silly!
I am also thrilled to see that the deer and elk are returning to our forest as the snow is starting to melt. I saw part of the elk herd today, too far away for a photo. And, I spotted a small group of deer (and they spotted me).
Photos like the next one are why I strive to be in the forest during the "magic" hours around dawn and dusk.
I love our Duo.

26 comments:

  1. That last photo is so incredible that it actually hurts. Does that make sense.

    Unbeleiveably beautiful.

    A great way to end my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great place for them to decide to frolick around. We never saw them do this
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I'm so glad I decided to check out your blog tonight. I am fascinated with the coyote photos - I kept scrolling up and down, looking at them again and again. I'm fascinated with how much that behavior reminds me of Lady - in fact that snow slide photo could be her. I never dreamed this was some sort of instinctive behavior that dogs have been doing for eons. I always just thought she was itchy when she does that.

    And the coyotes, with their lives in the dark, cold night, just fascinate me in general. And the deer photo - wonderful! And THEN I get to that last photo - wow, wow, wow! There really aren't words adequate to respond. Breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love that last photo. You sure know how to capture the moment.
    Blessings,
    Goose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all the hidden camera shots. The colors in the last picture in this post are unreal! That sure is a magic moment.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!

    Great bit of behavior caught by your cameras there!

    Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That last photo...just stunning. I love seeing all your wildlife
    Dachshund Nola

    ReplyDelete
  8. You live in the perfect place! The coyote photos were great! The bobcat looks huge and heavy. What does he eat?
    The last photo was beautiful.

    Nina, Myshka, Sasha, Betsy, Lucy, Phoebe and Lily

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sky shot is really a true stunner! I'd frame that one.

    It's always interesting to see the transfer of behaviors between our dogs and their wild cousins. At least it is to me! I'm not sure I'd always want to know what my dogs are thinking, but there are some times when I really would!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic photos!!!

    The Florida Furkids

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was just thinking how wonderful it is that you have a trail camera to capture all this magic!
    To think all the rolling around in the snow is happening all the time, but more than that- you understand the "whys" and reasons they do it.
    We love the photos of the bob cat and coyotes, and of course that beautiful dual!
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  12. K and R looking splendid in silhouette! I love the deer picture too.

    The coyotes are having a time, aren't they? I never thought of some deep reason they rolled. Just thought they liked to pick up a little eau de forest!

    Cheers,
    Jo and the gang

    ReplyDelete
  13. What exciting pictures of the coyotes and the bobcat. Very nice! Just now we have hunting season of our bobcat ( I think it is a little bit smaller than yours). It´s a short time to hunt them and each county must apply for how many they can shoot.
    The last picture of K and R is very beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My goodness!!! Your photography is stunning! I totally LOVE that last one!!! Beautiful!! The colors!!! All the shots are really awesome...thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The last shot is utterly stunning! The magic and beauty of it leaves you breathless.

    Love the photos of the coyotes and bob cat. Does the camera show both of coyotes wriggling in snow? Just wondered?

    Big Nose Pokes
    The Thugletsx

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG, that last picture needs to be in magazines. It's simply stunning!

    Love ya lots,
    Mitch

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful last photo. On guard at sunset. That's what dogs do while we sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Undoubtedly the last photo is one of tranquility and you have captured beautifully the harmony and at one with nature.

    Would the coyote pose a threat to pet dogs?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Coyotes are such amazing creatures.
    They look like big puppies you just want to hug! (Guess not though) BOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wriggling for attention...or fun...they seem to know something we perhaps don't!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Truly amazing pictures! It looks like the coyotes are posing for some of those pics. The picture of K wriggling....priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh yes, that last photo is just magnificent. It must best uplifting to experience sunrises like that.

    ReplyDelete
  23. We love your duo too. :)

    Woofs and Licks,
    Maggie Mae and Max

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow the last photo is awe inspiring, your so lucky to have all that wildlife on your door step!

    Slobbers

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great silhouette of the duo! I love the magical hours of dawn and dusk, too. And full moons...

    The wildlife shots you get are always so incredible. They tell so many stories we wouldn't even learn in books! I love to see the personality you continually capture!

    ReplyDelete