Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Summer, summer, summer

We had a glorious first weekend of summer with pure summer beauty bursting from the forest and meadows. I loved the feeling of warm sun on my skin. K and I rode the trails to our hearts' content.
And R looked jet-black handsome in the late day sun on one of our hikes.
During one of our long bike rides, K and I found that Blue Flag Irises had blossomed in celebration of the holiday. Bumblebees drank their nectar and carried pollen from one blossom to the next.
By chance, I captured the bumblebee as it flitted between flowers.
Prickly currants bloomed, tiny trumpet-like flowers adored by hummingbirds. In the fall, our bears will ravenously consume the berries that these tiny gems will become once they're pollinated.
I rode my bike every day this weekend, mostly on trails deep in the forest where no one but me and the wild animals roamed. While on one of those trails, I examined the sapling that the bear used to scratch his or her back in yesterday's video. Several of you asked if the behaviors by the bear and bobcat in the video were typically male or female. Based on a lot of reading, I believe that both sexes use the same scent marking strategies. So, I have nothing but wild guesses about whether those animals were males or females.

I found that the thin pine sapling that the bear mauled was broken off at about my height (just over 5') and it appeared that the sapling was probably about 8' tall total before it was broken. I think that a parade of bears have rubbed their backs on it in recent years. The sap-soaked wood had too many bear hairs embedded in it to count.
As I explored a new trail near the bear's sapling, I found a stand of aspen trees that was covered in bear claw marks. I suspect that many generations of bears have climbed those trees leaving their distinctive 4 slashes in the aspen wood.
Just a bit further along on the trail, I spotted a boulder too huge for me to budge that had been overturned recently. No doubt, a bear tipped it to look for bugs underneath it. I think that I should name this trail Black Bear Trail.
Yesterday afternoon during a hike, I noticed that K seemed enthralled with a scent. Based on what we found this morning, I wonder if a bear was nearby.
This morning, on our ride, K and I found black bear scat within a quarter mile of our house. It was big - about 1.5" in diameter, and filled with kinnikinnick berries. These berries grow on an evergreen ground-covering shrub that carpets much of our forest floor. The berries still hanging from the low branches are last year's berries. My friend tasted them and said that they were "mealy" - but I guess that food isn't easy to find yet for our bears.
Indeed, many of the kinnikinnick plants have new flowers on them that will be the next crop of berries.
The great news was that the scat had NO birdseed or human food in it. Moreover, the bear didn't visit our yard. Although I would have loved to see him on my wildlife cameras, I do prefer that he remain wild and wary.

Over the weekend, I saw that all the new flowers had changed the hue of my favorite ridge trail. Look at the speckling of yellow, white and blue in the green grass. Wow!
I loved my weekend but today wasn't as easy. I've had persistent neck muscle spasms since my surgery in January. Today, I had "dry needle trigger point injections" in some of the muscle knots. So far, I seem to be responding well but it'll be interesting to see how the spasms respond over the next few days. My fingers are crossed...

9 comments:

  1. Fingers crossed for the treatment to help -

    Thanks for sharing those great pics and observations -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there KB
    Your world seems alive with Spring, energy, vitality and new growth! How wonderful that you can be part of that world! Your photos, as always are stunning! It is such a blessing to have beautiful subjects to photograph (I'm sadly lacking these at the moment). Sunshine too always brightens one's life. Your world is wonderful! Enjoy every minute! I hope too that the niggles evaporate.

    Sending lotsaluv to you and your dear canine companions.
    MAXMOM IN SA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just the name of that treatment makes me cringe! With a name like that, I certainly hope that it brings you some relief!

    I love how alive the trails around you seem. It seems like something new is just around every turn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful path and flowers, KB. I noticed in that stand of Aspen trees, it looks like someone has carved their initials too.

    Hope the muscle spasms are relieved.
    ...Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm amazed at what emerges after the snow melts. So glad you got to ride all weekend. I'd love to be running that trail in your last picture! Just stunning.

    I hope the trigger point injections bring relief to your neck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My fingers are crossed the intervention will be successful, too. I hope you're feeling well enough to go out again today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful photographs. Fingers crossed here. I'm sure you didn't actually TRY to move that rock, now did you?

    It's nice to know you and K are biking in the warm weather.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi KB, I'm enjoying getting caught up with your world. I hiked today and saw some turned boulders, too - I think by bear.

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!