Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Tuesday, September 25, 2018

A change in plans...

I really wanted to write the story of my long point-to-point adventure mountain bike ride in late August for today's post. It was SO beautiful, and I surprised myself with my endurance. I trained carefully for it, and my training worked.

This was a view as I approached the high point of the ride, above 12,000' on a windy mountain pass. I plan to tell the more detailed story of the ride soon.

As I prepared to write the post, I got badly sidetracked as I was getting the photos ready. In that process, I ran into this photo that I took of R just after I finished the ride and met the rest of the pack at our campsite. This photo stopped me in my tracks. R's eyes looked almost perfect then - and it was less than a month ago!
I haven't shared any of the photos where his blindness is most obvious to me... but let me assure you that his eyes don't look so healthy now.

Photographic evidence of how fast it happened led me to forgive myself.  I have continually wondered if I could have saved R's eyesight if I'd taken him to a ophthalmologist sooner. Now I know that I really couldn't have noticed it much sooner. It occurred too fast.

I feel sure that we will all reach peace with our new circumstances - but my heart is still stuck on coping with the loss and the progression to total blindness that is still ahead of us.

I have spent the past few days getting advice from owners of blind dogs. For example, I am thinking about what verbal cues to teach R that will help him with navigating the world when he is blind. I think that they will be easier to teach now while he still has some sight.

He's an amazing dog, and I know that he'll keep loving life even when his sight is gone. We will help him as much as we possibly can.

19 comments:

  1. he is amazing and you are a furmily one for all and all for one ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sure did happen quickly and R is such a smart one, he'll figure out what you are trying to teach him and why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my heart just hurts for you and for R... and I agree it is good to start the verbal training now, and he will have it when he needs it. I googled searched myself silly for a ball to use in the water. nothing out there. lots of noise making balls but not for water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. his eyes look perfect, so happy for you that you found the photo and could lift that burden from your heart

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hari Om
    experienced the same with angel Jade,,, even the change can be treasured where quality of experience exists. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know that Shyla is going to help him navigate the world!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Matilda...Shyla will sense R's needs...however, I would like to add that I think R will take lots cues from your loving voice...as his hearing will surely be sharper and is nose will always find his Mom, sis and the Runner. It will probably be harder to train yourself to adjust to this but again I think R and Shyla will help you here too.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  8. We agree with the others. Shyla loves R and will do whatever she can to help him. Hugs to all of you♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If R needs to navigate an outdoor deck and/or steps, I found this sandpaper tape to be a godsend:https://smile.amazon.com/NST-20C-Translucent-Transparent-Non-Skid-Traction/dp/B01BCWZV8K?keywords=transparent+non-skid+tape&qid=1537891728&sr=8-4-spons&ref=sr_1_4_sspa&psc=1 You can put strips of it along the edge of each step with the top edge being the most important, of course, to let them know where the first step down is. Then I made a "path" with it from the back door to the top step for Boo to follow. It can be used anywhere, of course...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel your pain KB and I'm so sorry for the changes you and R are going through. Don't forget Shyla will also help R with his navigational skills. I think everything you've been doing with her will help her be a great service dog for R.

    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep, sometimes things just happen so quickly. And you, of all people, should never second guess missing something - your dogs get the ultimate in care from you and your vets. With all the experience you have with training the dogs and with the great relationship you have with R (and Shyla) your advance training will be more than successful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your love for R will get you through this...and you have so much support and resources to help. Even when things don't happen fast like that, we can often miss changes when we live with our pets every day. All we can do is our best. Hang in there!
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a handsome guy. Roxy has been having sight problems for a while. We first noticed she couldn't see very well at night, and now I notice she really follows Torrey closely. Her biggest problem is hearing. Pretty much she can't hear at all, or very little. It's sad, but part of aging. I'm sure you will find a way to help R live his life to the fullest. He's like Torrey....just happy to be here, no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. You have sure had a lot of challenges over the years. One thing I've noticed is that you somehow manage to not give up and to keep going. I'm glad you found this photo so you're able to know that you did not fail R by not noticing. You care for your dogs. I'm sure he will still feel your confidence and resiliency as you transition into this next season. You and Shyla will have sight for him.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. KB,, I dont think you could have caught it any sooner. Your so on top of things,,, all the time. You and Runner have provided the best homes for R and Shyla and all the others. I know R will adapt if he has to. He is smart, and trusts you,,and he will learn "if" he has to
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is amazing how fast the eyes changed. We had no idea the disease could be so fast moving. It will be different, but R will be fine and continue to enjoy life. The hardest part will be for you to adjust.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dogs don't comprehend handicaps like peeps do. No doubt he will adapt just fine.

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!