Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Tuesday, April 28, 2020

A Popular Wallow

Last autumn, I took a break from a mountain bike ride to wander around off trail. I hid my bike and made a GPS point where it was. I've come close to losing my bike in the past after hiding it so I am now wise enough to let technology help me find it again.

Then, I started walking, looking for signs of wildlife activity as I walked. As I approached a stand of aspen, I heard the sounds of branches breaking. I stopped in my tracks to see what animal it was. I saw three moose hanging out. One was a big bull, one was a small bull, and one was a cow moose. It was moose mating season so I quickly slid behind a tree just in case a bull charged. We'd been in the midst of the aggressive rampages of "Cranky Moose" near my house so I was worried.

I stood still to watch for a short time. I saw that they were standing in water and mud - which I guessed was a huge wildlife attractant. I also saw that the big bull was indeed Cranky Moose. I backed away, and I vowed to go back when the water/mud had no visitors.

In an area like ours, water sources are rare for much of the year so I was very excited to find a new one. I went back the next day. It looked like a huge muddy puddle with all sorts of animal tracks around it. I rode to grab a camera from someplace else, and I posted it by this "wallow".

Very soon, Cranky Moose was checking out my camera. Fortunately, it survived his perusal.
Soon thereafter, winter began in earnest, and the moose no longer were interested in this wallow. The first real snow was on October 10, and a bear went to the puddle for a drink in the snow.

Then, our first really big storm was in November. A deer waded through the snow across the wallow.
Whenever the temperature went above freezing, somebody visited the water. Robins bathed in the water in January!

In March, an animal who I didn't expect to see there arrived. This lion drank for FIVE minutes - that is a long drink. She is such a beauty.
This is going to be a very fun spot for the summer. I predict that bears will love wallowing in this water and mud! Kind of like a spa treatment! I am excited about it.

I condensed all of those autumn-winter months into a short video. Be sure to have your sound on. It's fun to hear the forest sounds particularly in the spring.

21 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    another fabulous parade - such rewards for camera patience!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful video! Because of the lighting and the snow, we thought we saw a polar bear☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so clever at finding these amazing spots to place the camera. The sounds were indeed wonderful. Bertie feels he has much in common with the mountain lion, he too loves a good long slurp. (Gail thinks he is an unbelievably inefficient slurper).

    ReplyDelete
  4. now i can say by the hairs of the chinny chin chine moose hairs. that water drinking lion is sooooo beautiful.. must have been totally dry, or maybe just had lunch... this will be a great water hole, hurry spring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Incredible! I'm so amazed at the variety of wildlife that visit your area. Summer will be something special.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful place you live. I love seeing all the wildlife. So precious.

    Have a fabulous day. Scritches to the pups. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing spot you found. We can't wait to see more of the action you capture during the spring and summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You and your blogger friends will have a lot of fun with this spot. The lion is gorgeous, she must be in the prime of her life. English is my second language and a week ago I learned the word "wallow" after reading a post from Florida, where there also was a wallow. In the South the call it something else, waller, maybe, I forget. I knew one meaning of the word, of course, and now I not only know this one, but have seen two different examples of what a wallow looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a terrific watering hole with lots of wonderful customers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. MOL MOL MOL the Mt. Lion is having wonderful mud bath and it is free. Crazy humans pay mega $$$
    Hugs
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Moxy was sitting right by the screen, and looked for the lion as it went away, slithering on that snow. Lapping, ( the trailcam picks up the most sensitive noises )birds tweeting, and the deer in almost too deep snow, how do they ever manage to keep going when it is that deep. This is a grand place for the trailcam, and I do like the way it tells the date, time, and how COLD it is. Stay safe, we are in level 3, some easing of the restrictions, but for us oldies, not much of a change, so many people rushed out to queue for a takeaway!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great spot to see all the comings and goings. Hope all that snow means the watershed will be full this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great spot you found! I thought Cranky Moose was going to take your camera out with his antlers though! :)
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
  14. That moose is amazing and the lion is truly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Seems like a very popular spot. Should be lots more video footage as it warms up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a popular spot, can't wait wait to see who all visits this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  17. First, we are glad you were able to hide safely from the moose - no charging our dear friend, please. And now we can't wait to see the bears as they wallow away:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I enjoy learning about the moose. They are fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm wondering, in the winter, why don't they just eat the snow?

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!