Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Saturday, April 11, 2020

Shyla Saturday - Covering my Back while I Watched Flickers

Shyla and I have had some glorious bike rides recently. The weather has been perfect - warm and sunny. I do have to admit that many of the forest trails are still impassable due to deep slushy snow. But, I push my bike through those parts to get to the wide open sunny areas.

Shyla loves running and playing up high.

Sometimes, later in the ride, we stop to watch birds. Shyla takes up her position next to my bike, being my watch dog so that no wildlife sneaks up on me.

Today, a pair of Northern Flickers caught my attention. At first, without my glasses on, I thought that they were a friendly pair, perhaps a bonded male and a female. Then, I put my glasses on, and I saw that neither of them had the red stripe on their face that a male Flicker has. I was puzzled as to why two female Flickers were staying so close together.

They seemed to move in parallel from one perch to the next.

When they were perched, I noticed this odd head bobbing behavior that they seemed to direct at teach other. They were in the midst of it at this moment. You can see the eye contact between them.

Thank goodness for Shyla watching me because I was completely engrossed in this new-to-me bird behavior. I shot some video with a very long lens so that you could see why it caught my attention.
After the pair finally flew off, I saw them land next to a male Flicker on a dead tree. I was really puzzled as to what was going on.

I read up on their behavior when I got home, and it turns out that the females were likely vying for the male. Their ritualized head bobbing is a way to resolve things without fighting. Apparently, if neither of them wins the "head bobbing" contest, the next step can be actual fighting with the two birds on the ground attacking each other.

What a fun day we had! Shyla is my partner in exploring our world. She's the best - watching over me when I really need it. I love that we can share our mornings together.

16 comments:

  1. hari OM
    Oh my word - as a birder I am so grateful to you for managing to record this little snippet! What a joy. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you had Shyla with you, not only to watch over you but also to give you her joyful companionship. Take care, Mxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. they are having a conversation, sign language of course. she says, get out of her woman, this is my tree, the other says, don't think you can scare me off, he is to handsome and he is MINE... you were there at the right moment. I have never seen this before. there speckled breast are beautiful... and my favorite photo is the biker chick guarding her mama's back and bike. love that shot.... you watch beautiful girl

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always appreciate non-violent methods of conflict resolution! I will tell the goats about this later today. They sometimes do a very quick, slight tilt with their horns that is very effective as a "shot across the bow" - LeShodu used to be able to control the others even at a distance with that small gesture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so wonderful to have a sweet Shyla looking out for you. Those birds are beautiful ones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting episode in bird behavior you saw. You were lucky to be able to capture it in video too. Shyla is a good companion to have while your attention is focused on the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't that interesting! What a great capture! I hope these two were able to resolve this peacefully. :)
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shyla you are one Amazing Pup. Your attention and devotion touch my heart as you watch out for Mom while she took these photos and the once in a lifetime video.
    The female Flickers with their built in 'swords' are air fencing. Never would I have ever seen this thank you.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is interesting - I wonder if that means there are fewer male flickers than female?

    Shyla is a good dog. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Flickers are just gorgeous! You are the bestest, Shyla♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that is fascinating. My first reaction was they were fighting over a male and lo and behold...! Pretty cool video.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am glad she has your back. It’s even more difficult to hear with the wind going like that!

    I love their spots!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How interesting is that!! I wonder how one of them "wins" the head bobbing duel.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so cool!

    Cheers,
    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!