Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Thursday, July 9, 2020

Thankful Thursday - A Full Moon Morning

I have a long streak of trying to photograph the setting full moon every month. That involves riding my mountain bike to a spot in our forest where I can see the mountains. Last month, the moon became full just as a local female mountain lion had killed a deer nearby. She was visiting it nightly to eat, and my cams showed that her route to and from the carcass paralleled the route that I needed to ride to see the full moon. I reluctantly decided to take a month off from photographing the setting full moon.

It turned out to be a really good decision. At almost exactly the time that I would have been riding to see the full moon, that mountain lion was walking within 30 yards of the route. This was that date and time... there she was.

This month, mountain lion activity in our neck of the woods has returned to normal. That means that there are occasional lions traveling through but, most nights, there are none. I am willing to take the risk on a normal night.

I set out in pitch darkness with a headlamp on my helmet. I was feeling a little nervous about the critters in the forest but I pedaled hard to make sure that I didn't miss the setting of the moon. Soon, I settled into a pedaling and breathing rhythm, and I forgot my worries. The Hermit Thrushes were singing their hearts out, with their flute-like voices rising from the treetops. They were spaced about every 100 yards along my route. I'd hear one singing, he'd gradually get louder, and then I'd pass him with his sound receding. Soon, I'd hear the next one. It was glorious!

When I popped out of the forest at a high lookout, I saw the moon still a bit above the mountains and arcing down toward them. I set up and waited patiently. This was my favorite moment.

I always hang around after the moon sets to watch the sunrise. I love watching the world slowly get light. On this morning, the birds awakened and started flitting around as I waited for sunrise. A lovely bluebird couple were busily finding breakfast. I am betting that their chicks were nearby being served by the grownups. The male had caught something just before this photo.
The birds capped off a gorgeous morning.  I am so thankful for the beautiful world around us!

24 comments:

  1. Moments like these take all the worries away. I can imagine you on your bike, if it is cold, breath streaming on the morning air, and then that moon. Guess you had time to set up the tripod maybe? Super, super, shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is beautiful... like a painting...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Worth the ride for sure! So beautiful. You're so brave I won't even walk around our block because I'm afraid of the human animals. But I also would be afraid of lions. You and your hubby are in the right place

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful moon picture and the bluebird is gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have the most amazing sights in your neck of the woods. Thanks for joining our Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, just wow on that moon shot. That jumps right off the page. So does the bird and all those lovely flowers, but the moon shot.

    Have a fabulous Thankful Thursday. Scritches to the pups. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Incredible moon shot! I'm glad the mountain lions have settled down a bit, I can only imagine it must be a bit unnerving to bike through the dark to this spot.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your shots are always incredibly beautiful, KB! The bluebird is just incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. KB I am almost speechless at the beauty surrounding you and thankful that you share it.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Thank you s much for taking us with you...I could almost hear the birds myself!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great photo of the moon. I love looking at the moon - all phases. You are brave to ride at night.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an exquisite capture of the setting moon. Definitely well worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I admire your dedication (but I'm sure glad you took that month off!), and am so happy we get to enjoy the results! Beautiful photos.
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
  14. The photo of the moon is -- I'm looking for a word here -- spectacular, maybe? Particularly as you had to make your way in darkness to achieve it. While it's good that you have your cameras and can track wildlife, there are always unknown things going on in nature. I would be mostly worried about an old or injured cat or bear coming through at the wrong time. Still I have such confidence in you knowing what you are risking that I'm not really worried.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That one rock in the moon picture looks as if it has a face on it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your bravery resulted in some stunning pictures. I don't think I would have had the courage.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you evaluate the risks. Last month's decision was wise. I always feel better when Shyla's with you when you're out and about, afoot or on bike. This month's moon and bluebird photos - oh my!

    Belated delight at R's negative test results too!

    Cheers,
    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMD, that moon is just AMAZIN'!!! I am so glads you waited to get it, that wouldn't have been funs runnin' into the mountain lion guardin' her foodables (I knows I can gets cranky ☺)
    Thanks for the pawsome photos!
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's a stunner - thanks for taking us all along on your ride :)
    And good decision last month. Wouldn't want to interrupt a dining lion. So rude ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. These Are Some Amazing Photos - I Am So Proud Of You For Riding Early While Having Every Justification For NOT Riding - That Moon Shot Is Worth Every Crank, Every Sacrifice, And Every Reason For Getting Out There - Well Done

    Cheers
    P.S. BLK Dog Would Just Love A Little Treat Right About Now

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bravo! It takes a lot of guts to do this in the dark by yourself. This is one of those things that I discovered it was better to not tell my aging mother that I do. (Not that I bike lion-infested trails in the dark, but you know what I mean, LOL.)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful shot of the moon, and the bird with the flowers is adorable.

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!