My friend, SMRP, posted yesterday about K being in the hospital. She's still there, and from what I heard from the doc this morning, she's not a lot better. Yesterday morning, she suddenly became lethargic, acted like she was in pain, and refused to eat. Then, she threw up a few mushrooms. But, her bloodwork is very confusing - it's certainly not indicating classic mushroom poisoning (yet - but it can change over time as the toxins do their work).
Due to K's strange assortment of symptoms, the vets are worried about an underlying unrelated problem that's exacerbating a mild case of mushroom poisoning and that might be causing the mystifying blood problem that cannot be caused by mushrooms, a low hematocrit (i.e., low red blood cell count).
They said the terrifying word 'hemangiosarcoma' yesterday. I had an anxiety-soaked hour while they looked for it but xrays and ultrasound didn't show the telltale signs. The images also didn't show any signs of internal bleeding, another worry. So, that's all good news.
Whatever is going on, she's staying the hospital, I was just told.
I think that those of you who follow this blog know that K is unbelievably close to me. I feel like she's part of the fabric of my heart and soul. Please send good thoughts her way.