Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Mountain lion on the prowl

Guess who visited the other evening? The very long tail with a black tip is a major hint.
He sauntered toward a spot where I have captured numerous mountain lion photos over the years. This camera has stayed installed in the same spot for multiple years. Many animals have marked the ground below the big Douglas Fir Tree, and the lion sniffed that area.
He sniffed for a long time, and, in the process, he showed us that he does not have a GPS or radio collar around his neck. That fact made me smile!
Then, he turned to exit the area. He stood with just his back end in the view of the camera for about 10 seconds and then vanished.
It's fair to say that mountain lion photography season has officially begun!

To my surprise, our breeding pair of coyotes showed up just a half hour after the mountain lion. They sniffed the area where the lion had just stood for quite a while. They took turns so only one coyote was in the camera view at a time. Look how much smaller a coyote is than a mountain lion.
I always have a small "freak out" when I see a mountain lion on the viewfinder of my camera. I check out every shadow and shady spot nearby to make sure that the animal isn't watching me. Today, I was grateful to have K covering my back. She literally lies or sits right behind me while I check a trail camera, watching my back.
Thanks, K!

20 comments:

  1. From the mom - I don't think I would ever get anything done - I would be constantly watching the viewfinder on the camera to see what new critter came into view. K looks so wise - all knowing and all seeing.
    Mom Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are really great pictures! Mr. Mountain Lion's tail is quite impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're the best, K!
    Happy Easter to all of you!

    Love ya lots,
    Mitch

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Great photos of both the mountain lion and coyote!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That would be so great and scary at the same time. Nice to know that K's got your back! Great pictures!! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No dog better to have your back. Happy Easter.
    Blessings,
    Goose

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awsome pictures of the lion!!! K will for sure smell them if they are nearby. A labrador do have some hunting genes.
    Will be interesting to see if there is som cubs later on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. K's got your back alright...always has!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sending you lots of hugs and love. Haven't been commenting but have been following your blog. Will send you a note soon.
    Hugs to K and R!!
    Have a great day.

    P.S. that mountain lion shots is AWESOME!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. awesome pics as usual. Really like the pics of the mountain lion and the coyotes. Good to know K has your back and you hers! Also liked the profile pic of K on the mountain in the black and white look.
    take care
    Ernie and the pack

    ReplyDelete
  11. yikes, he sure is on the prowl...Happy Easter K
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an amazing place you live in!

    Happy Easter!
    Oskar

    ReplyDelete
  13. We second what Oskar said-you do live in an amazing place! And you must be grateful to know that K has your back!

    Happy Easter to you

    ReplyDelete
  14. KB, your photos always amaze me. Thanks so much for sharing. I can't even imagine having a mountain lion around where we live. Just fabulous photos. No worries, and love, Stella and Rory

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is one big KAT!
    I bet their purrrrr is so loud!
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow..what absolutely amazing photos of the mountain lion. Thanks for sharing.

    Big Nose Pokes
    The Thugletsx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think I'd be looking over my shoulder, too. That is one magnificent cat! How cool that the cat season has started!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ditto what others have said. I love that big cat! I hope to one day see one in the wild... safely!!!

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!