Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Desert winter, Mountain winter

I told you about our unexpected 2 day stay in town while our LabMobile was being repaired. When it was fixed, we were thrilled to be out of the "city" and back in the desert. However, the weather really wasn't desert-like.

We awakened to this sight one morning.
We had two full days left for camping after the LabMobile repair but the desert world was socked in by freezing fog and even snow for the entire two days. We didn't sit in those chairs again after returning to camp. It was too cold and damp.

It was bizarre to see the desert coated in rime ice. I know that the high desert has a real winter every year but I've never seen it before.
We didn't see the sun or stars at all in those last two days. This was the brightest picture of Shyla that I captured!
At night, the world was so dark that I couldn't see my hand in front of my face. And, the world was completely silent. The low clouds and fog muffled every sound. Living in our campsite at night was like being in a sensory deprivation chamber.

I have to say that I still felt that the trip was fun and relaxing. By the time we drove up to our house after the trip, I felt like we'd been away for a very long time. That's a sign that it was a good vacation in my estimation. We thanked our lucky stars that we had the LabMobile which has a propane heater in it. Without that, we would have been very cold at K's Rock on those last two days.

We came home to one of the longest snaps of incredibly cold weather that I've experienced here. In the past, we've had a couple of days here or there of temperatures below 0°F. However, over the past week, it has been below zero almost all the time.
Fortunately, Shyla is enthusiastic about getting out into the world regardless of the temperature. She and I just need to keep moving to stave off the cold. I believe it was -15°F when I took the photo below.
 It's undeniably winter here. It's a tough season, very tough, but it's also beautiful.
Now, in my mind, I just need to make to the Winter Solstice - after that, the world will get brighter and brighter!

20 comments:

  1. There is such beauty in the desert--I'm so glad you share it. And yes, it's cold! I'll be glad for a little warm up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's harshly cold. texas had had a prolonged cold spell - below freezing for several days, now above freezing only for a few hours a day. still, better than your temps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gee Whiz, I am glad you had a heater in your van. I am afraid I would have headed back to Moab. i am going over my stuff for Moab and will send it to you later tonight. plus the best spagetti recipie ever (given to my by the hotel owner in Moab that I told you about)
    stay warm, we are hoping for temps in the teens tomorrow ourselves. brrrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are freezing too! Glad you had a good time in our state!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy and Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crazy to see that frost in the desert. I'm glad you had a great vacation. We aren't below zero but we are close so I feel for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh such beautious photos! I cannot believe the snow you woke up to! So much incredible beauty packed into a few days! We love the photos and watching Shyla be so happy-- shows us her joy- and she is so full of life!
    Yes- now to the Winter Solstice!
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brr! Wow, that dark and that silent would freak me out. On top of being a Florida girl, I'm the oldest of six. I need light, and I need noise!
    Nola's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like Shyla enjoys the snow! Beamer loves winter and it's hard to get him back inside when there's snow for him to play with. Love the last photo of the frost. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. KB, even with low light, frost and freezing temps, your photos convey it all so well. Love the crystals, and the last one of Shyla. Enjoy home comforts all over again. Cheers from Jean

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos, and it sounds like a holiday to remember!
    I'm always amazed at how smooth your Labs fur looks - you must groom them really well!
    Melon

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never been to the desert but it looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always look forward to December 21st! Every day gets two minutes longer after that. Hallelujah!

    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We seem to be locked into that delightful combination of wind, and below zero temps. Not enough clothes to put on with that combo!

    I'll join you in waiting for the Solstice and hope January hears the news!

    Cheers,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy cow that's cold. We escaped St. George yesterday because of the cold. Single digits at night, and around 30 in the day. No water, and we burned up tons of propane trying to be sorta warm. Not worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the photo of Shyla moving through the snow. Here I thought I was "all that" going skiing when it was zero degrees... Thanks for reposting your coyote howl below. I must have missed it the first time. I've heard but not seen the calls before and it wasn't the way I expected to look. I do miss hearing that sound at night! And the photo you got of the coyote is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What beautiful pictures! Mom says no way would she sit on one of those chairs! brrrrrrrrrr

    Love ya lots♥
    Mitch and Molly

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Y'all!

    I love how you find the beauty of your winter world to share with us.

    Y'all come by now,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!