Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Silly Kitty

This type of trail camera photo is becoming commonplace. The silly mountain lion, who I think is a mother who is staying in a very small area, visited a remote camera of mine. Mountain lions stash their kittens in dens, moving them from one den to another frequently, when the kittens are young. Early in the kittens' lives, they can't move too far so the mother will frequent a small area. You might remember that we spotted enlarged teats on this lion fairly recently.
She wasted no time in started her wriggling. She is not the first to mark this spot.
After rolling and wriggling, she seemed to suddenly realize that a soft red glow was coming from my camera.
She rubbed the camera with her fur. Indeed, I could see the tawny fur on the cover.
She sniffed the spot once more, before ambling on her way.
I'm hoping to see some sign of her again soon because I believe that she may have a kitten or two traveling with her before too long. I would love to see them on camera.

Her behavior is remarkably similar to a mother bobcat's behavior - which I've seen in multiple years in the general area of this camera. With patience, my cameras eventually capture photos of the young cats. However, I've had to move several of my cameras which were in this lion's core area (this camera is outside the "core" area)... so we might miss the kittens this year. But, we can hope!

27 comments:

  1. She's beautiful!
    Thank you for sharing with us!
    Erica :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is way cool. I hope we see kittens too.
    Blessings,
    Goose

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is pretty amazing to see, especially for me. I have never lived anyplace where I might have a chance to see something like that. Thank you for sharing that. I hope we get to see babies also.
    \

    Anne and Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing all your trail cam pictures. It must be exciting when you discover that you captured something like this.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Y'all!

    What a great shot of the lioness...and how neat she put some hair camo on your camera cover.

    Sorry I haven't been by lately, but the Humans have been busy, busy, busy and the internet connection has been the pits. My Humans laptop is also acting up...still...but she isn't ready to buy a windows 8.

    Y'all come by now,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you get lucky and catch some kitten pictures this year! That would be so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You and your wonderful cameras give us way better TV to watch than what we could ever find on the boob tube.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dat is one big and beOOtiful kitteh! We would not likes to meet up wif her on our walks. ;)

    Woofs and Licks,
    Maggie Mae and Max

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh it would be grand to see the kittens but she is incredible too. she looks really healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh beautiful. We've got a rather pesky trio of bobcats hanging around the horses right now. One actually jumped a horse, left claw marks in his rump. We are trying to find someone who can help us relocate them.

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is better than Nat. Geo!!!
    I just found out that someone is trapping in the area where I saw the mom bobcat and her kittens. I just pray that they avoid being trapped.
    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh, this is just amazing! Thank you for sharing it.

    Nubbin wiggles,
    Oskar

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had better watch The Zen-terra keys -

    Khyra might be heading to visit the silly khytty ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a beautiful and silly cat! Oh I hope we get to see babies!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Down here I still find it hard to believe you see these in your area, the photos are great, and I do hope you get some kitten pics soon. Greetings from Jean

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have seen housecats move their babies from one spot to another, by carrying them one at a time in their mouth. Does she try to do this? Or is stealth the game she has to play and walk them quietly as she can. I do hope we get to see them!

    Cheers,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  17. That big kitty acts just like a teeny kitty, funny
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  18. We hope we get to see her kitties too!

    Love ya lots,
    Mitch and Molly

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loved the adventure today. We are still impressed that this is all happening in your backyard!

    Hugs,
    Lily Belle & Muffin

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love these lion shots. Very, very neat. What a place you live in....

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  21. So cool, but I can't imagine living/hiking/walking my dogs in an area where big cats frequent. Probably the worst thing my dogs could encounter would be a skunk :-) (or some rabid animal which really would be scary indeed!)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great pictures....I must get ours on our moose field ....been out long time now

    ReplyDelete
  23. She just looks adorable in that wriggling picture. How funny that she rubbed up against your camera. Wouldn't it be great to get a glimpse of her kittens!

    ReplyDelete
  24. These mountain lion photos are just wonderful! She is a very healthy looking cat! Thanks for sharing these.

    Susan and Wrigs

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!