Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Friday, April 9, 2010

A mellow ride and hike

R's infected toe bone and bone chip have healed slowly. Every day, we soak it twice in Epsom Salts. The Mannersminder makes this feat possible without R splashing the solution all over the floor. The Mannersminder is on the step by R's snout, and it delivers kibble whenever we press a button (or automatically, every few seconds). He is so obsessed with the Mannersminder that he just stands still with his paw in the cup! So now, we use this device for R's toenail clippings, Adequan injections, and finally paw soakings!
Today, R snoozed while I rode my bike.
When more trails become snow-free, I now feel confident that my neck will be strong enough to withstand riding on them. Then, the pups can join me!
I arrived home and took the Labraduo for a romp. Before rumbling and tumbling down a steep hill, R surveyed his kingdom.
As we descended a south-facing slope, both pups hurdled a downed tree.
The sun caused all of us to overheat and the dogs squinted against its intensity. This is the first panting dog photo of the year!
We finally hit a trail, and the Labraduo snuzzled each other with affection.
We followed a favorite wildlife trail where I have a remote camera. The Duo did a down-stay while I worked on it. K is experienced with this routine and fell asleep. R hated staying still and contemplated his next attempted escape!
What a pair! We found a cooler snowy area where both of them intensely focused on scents.
I'll have more bear photos in the near future. Many thanks to Stella for researching male and female bear sizes. I also did some research and confirmed her findings. Usually, males are about 33% heavier at each age, including as yearling cubs. That explains why one yearling cub outweighs the other by so much!
Enjoy your weekend!!!!!

14 comments:

  1. What a great day!

    The Labraduo and The Three Stooges: so many grins!

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy weekend to you, too.

    Stella and Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You live in the most beautiful area! To experience snow and no snow all in the same place is just amazing to me.

    That Mannersminder is wonderful! I am researching that now. I can see how helpful it can be. Hopefully it will work for my pups too.

    Thank you for the brilliant pix!

    Have a great weekend!

    Addie, Lucie and Hailey

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that picture of the labraduo leaping the fallen log. They look like they're in steeplechase!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the labraduo leaping over the fallen tree picture, but am most amazed at R standing with his paw in the bucket. Must be some good stuff in that manner's minder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You clearly have a Phd in canine psychology. That trick with the cup of Epsom Salts is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This Manners Minder thing is really impressive. Does it make a lot of noise? I think you posted a video of it once, but I can't recall if it was noisy or not. I'm considering buying one, but I don't know how Marge will react to it.

    I'm thrilled to hear that one of the bears is most likely female. Hopefully we can follow her along with you for years to come!

    I, like you, would only support a breeder who does the necessary health tests for their breed. I think you've found a great breeder - someone who takes responsibility for a dysplastic dog is a good person, in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to smile at R's obsessed stare at Mannersminder! What a great training tool. I really liked the leaping photo of R and K. Can't believe it's already panting weather where you are! It's kind of cool here in the city - I walked 5 miles this AM.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That manner's minder is awesome. It sure seems to serve you well for many activities.

    Great post, we almost feel like we are right there with you. what a beautiful day you had with the pups.

    Woos - Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just bought a Manners Minder to use while driving! :-) Glad the toe is healing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. your dogs are gorgeous!
    and the bears... wow, so great to see your bear footage! I went back through many of your posts to see what you are sharing. I have been dreaming of bears a few times each week. I have not seen one in our woods yet this year, perhaps anticipation. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. As always, your photos are incredible! I LOVE the one of R surveying his kingdom. What a fantastic shot.

    And the bears....so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That Mannersminder device is really impressive...not seen it before...I probably missed a post of your!
    Luv C

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!