Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Lions and bears!

Our internet connection was down again today so I'm writing a quick post although a lot of interesting things happened in the past 24 hours.

The Labraduo and I took a sunset hike yesterday, into a wildlife haven.The Duo, who were on leash, went nutso with tension. I sniffed the air for bears or elk - I can actually smell those animals when they're nearby. What I smelled made my blood run cold. I smelled raw meat - meaning that we were standing extremely close to a fresh lion kill. It might have been one the of elk whose insane fleeing tracks I saw two evenings ago. I know that some of you think that I'm at least a little crazy but I knew that we needed to leave the area immediately.

We climbed away from that scary scent and the duo wouldn't look away from the direction of the scent.
After scaling the to the top of the steep canyon wall, we stopped to gaze at the glow of the sunset over the stormy Divide. Its peace contrasted with the violence that I felt sure had happened just below us.
K stood silhouetted against the setting sun. We walked home, unscathed but feeling the power of the mighty predators in our forest.
This morning, K and I went for a bike ride, and she revelled in a receding snow bank. What abandon!
I pedaled up to Hug Hill, where every peak was obscured by an incoming snowstorm except a towering giant to our south. K looked toward it.
A bright yellow flower had ventured into blossom, a groundsel. I love every little sign of spring! But, I hope that it survived today's snow.
Alas, later in my ride, winter stampeded into our world again. First, the sky turned gray and then big snow flakes drifted out of the sky.
At the end of my solo ride, I sneaked to the bear den to check the situation. The mama bear and yearlings have departed, leaving an empty den. In fact, my camera shows that they departed soon after their play session at the end of March. That doesn't surprise me because they were so wide awake. However, intriguingly, two other animals have checked the den since they departed. The first is a black bear, probably a young male, based on the scars on his forehead. I'll post more about the bear den and its visitors tomorrow.

8 comments:

  1. Such great pictures!

    I'm glad you were able to get on long enough to share them!

    Of course, we'll be watching for the tigers to complete the sequence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. K looks like a puppy in that snow picture!

    At least we know that there's at least one thing that you'll retreat from now! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any chance you have an empty guest cabin kicking around? I'd be happy to walk the dogs for you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. will you go later to check out the kill scene? scary stuff!
    have a great weekend!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is fascinating that YOU can smell certain animals if they are close enough. You were obviously awfully close to something scary - heebie-jeebies here! Thanks for the wonderful stories and pictures. I've been wondering about the three bears and look forward to hearing more about the new occupants? Have a great Friday in that magical land!
    Hugs xo
    Sam and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures!
    Honestly I am never taken the girls into the wild before. The most we have done was when we went camping last year and we went on a long hike. I've always wonder how they would react if they were to sniff something wild.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes, I felt like I was in a horror movie when you described the raw meat smell. Want a feeling that must be, to know you're so close to a powerful animal.

    Your sunset photos are beautiful. You may just inspire me to find the energy to make an evening trek one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yoicks! I am glad to see you beat a fast retreat under those conditions!

    I think we are back to stay! (I hope, I hope!)

    Kisses,

    Stella

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!