Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Tuesday teaser

Busy day - and not much time to post. So, I'll post one photo. The mule deer whose body I found yesterday was shared by at least two and maybe three lions. I believe that it is a mother with young. Our exciting day started with an ethereal experience. K and I floated along our favorite trail through chilly air. The bite in the air seemed out of place with the green leaves just unfurling on the aspen trees.

As K trotted by my side on a pine needle carpeted trail, a jet black bear appeared ahead of us on the trail as we crested a small rise. I told K to sit and stay. To my astonishment, she sat still but with a frenzied whine. Meanwhile, the bear turned on a dime and loped away with a grace that belied his bulky frame. He turned uphill, off the trail, and silently disappeared into the forest. How does an animal so huge navigate brush and deadfall without a sound?

Because I was focused on keeping K by my side, I never even reached for my camera. However, the magical moment will be forever etched in my memory. These past two days encompass why I love living here - I'm in the midst of real wild animals.

14 comments:

  1. AND the past two days make us appreciate your blog and your sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a stunning picture. Can not wait to see more.

    So glad K was so well trained. The bears really do not want to bother us if we only signal that we are the same way about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, teaser is right! i want more!
    i successfully made a new blog....let me know if it works for you...
    kninelove.blogspot.com
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am darned glad that K stayed with you! Wow! You definitely are among real live animals!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW K you are the master of stay!!

    We could never sit still like that! Ok, what is your secret?

    Chasing my tale...
    Addie, Lucie and Hailey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your lion picture is giving me chills! Definitely a teaser. Can't wait to see more.

    Very cool moment with the bear, and another cool moment to see all your hard work with K pay off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even without a plethora of photos, the message is powerful. Amazing to see the lions, incredible to hear about the bear. I don't have the foggiest notion of how animals - big ones - navigate the forests so gracefully.
    Hugs xoxoxo
    Sammie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know what's more amazing - the story of K and the bear or this picture of the lions with their kill. Always something going on there in Colorado, isn't there? Nature keeps like exciting!

    Tonight, qe watched an owl (not sure what species) fly over our agility field in search of vermin. A very cool experience for a city girl like me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really amazing post. I loved your camping adventures and photographs as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. awesome photo! i'm behind...must catch up!

    hope you're doing well. thinking of K, R and you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that must have been quite the moment. Mom says she would have been running the opposite direction so fast:)

    Woos - Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, my goodness! You made my heart beat faster with that tale! I agree bears seem to be able to move so silently, and they seem to always escape my viewfinder without a trace!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The lions certainly look BIG, WILD and STRONG, KB !!!
    ♥...Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  14. It gives me a chill, seeing the lions at their kill. I am thinking the neighborhood bears are patrolling at my house, too - we'll soon see...I was hiking in the desert today and saw scat that maybe is bobcat - I thought of you.

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!