Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

An illicit romp

Early this morning, a bobcat, who looks like the youngster who has visited our clearing, padded cautiously along a hogback.
Yesterday, I placed this wildlife camera to capture animals walking along the spine of the small ridge because I thought that bobcats and mountain lions might like to survey for prey from a high spot. I love it when I get a photo immediately after placing a camera - it's an auspicious start!

This morning, K and I hiked out into frigid air. Her paw seems the same as two days ago - the lump still juts out, there's still fluid under the skin distal to the lump, and she licks the lump on and off but not obsessively. She doesn't limp when she hikes so the vet said to let her continue to gradually increase her hiking distance. I'll be talking with the vet tomorrow about the next step to figure out what's causing the lump. I can feel the power of everyone's assertions that "it is a bruise!" - and I think that's still a possible outcome.

This morning, K looked radiant in the rising sunlight. I know that I'm biased but I am unabashedly awed by her beauty, especially when she peers into my soul with her golden eyes.
I gave her a couple of minutes off leash in a meadow where we haven't seen another person since the summer. Of course, today, a stranger hiked into K's view when she was off-leash. K firmly believes that every person on Earth was placed here to pet and play with her. So, she broke into a full gallop toward the hiker. I called her back, and she turned on a dime to return to me. However, the big news was that she didn't limp in either a trot or a gallop - for the first time since her surgeries!!! That lifted my spirits high into the cobalt blue sky.

Yesterday, I felt pessimistic about K ever returning to mountain biking because the vet thinks that the remaining toes on her surgically altered front paw are already riddled with arthritis. After seeing her joyfully run today, I felt a glimmer of hope that we'll do some limited biking together in the future. You were all right about the photo yesterday - it's both a memory and a goal! Thank you!

Since it was an illicit romp and recall, I have no photos of K in action. I have the feeling I'll have more opportunities for action photos of K...
R found a slot in his busy schedule to mountain bike with me this morning. He decided to survey the meadow below Hug Hill from a stump.
Then, I left him alone in a sit-stay on Hug Hill and glided well out of sight for a recall. The boy broke the sound barrier as he hurtled down the hill toward me!
R's obsessive-compulsive behaviors have been on the rise again, primarily manifesting as an insatiable need to drink water. I'm realizing that regulating his obsessions via behavior modification is going to require daily work for a long time. I've slacked off lately, and the relapse has been pronounced. I'm becoming fully aware that OCD isn't an easy thing to control.

We thought that we might actually get some snow like so many of you have enjoyed. However, the storms keep dodging us. It was supposed to snow both yesterday and today but it didn't. Instead, we were given the gift of blue sky and icy air! I'm not complaining.
Look at that dry trail. It's unbelievable mountain biking for mid-December!

23 comments:

  1. K's warm chocolate pics are GORGEOUS!

    Of course, Khyra wanted to give a wag of the tail for the nice khytty pic!

    Paws still crossed it's just a bruise -which would be better than just a flesh wound ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy that k's toe isn't any worse, and that she's actually running w/out limping! Enjoy all of her accomplishments.....
    I have a feeling R's OCD can only be managed by you, forever...:)
    lovely biking for this time of year!
    You have become a pro at camera placement!!:)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope K keeps coming around. It sounds like she's feeling better. It seems that arthritis has to be extremely severe to slow down a dog. They are so focused on playing, they seem to be able to ignore the pain and moving seems to help, as you are way more aware of than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's awesome to envision K turn on a dime towards you and run back at full speed without a hitch in her step. I think that your goal of biking with her will be attained!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Healing does take time...even after I sprained my paw last year..it took forever. And my dads are always staring into my eyes too. We dogs have a power, a real power over those humans. I'm OCD with my orange ball and really feel calm with it in my mouth. Sometimes the guys remove it and I give in. They are good with me and I really appreciate their kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. K will tell what she can and cannot do. It may not be as much as before,, but that okay,,,,
    we keep our paws crossed that "the bruise " is just a bruse.
    What awsomeness in R's recall.
    What a world you share,,,,with us.
    thank you
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous photographs as always. Glad you are enjoying some great weather.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You guys sure are regular hikers. Yo are lucky to be in such a beautiful area
    Snuggles,
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  10. What beautiful dogs!

    Guess what? My mom person & I have created a blog, www.PetBlogsUnited.com, and we'd love it if you would come over and check it out.

    It's a great place for pet bloggers to find each other, and get an opportunity to be a featured blog!

    Nubbin wiggles,
    Oskar

    ReplyDelete
  11. I sure like the 'no limping' part of all this with K. Somehow that bodes really well to me.

    We haven't had any of the big bad weather either. We might just be the chosen ones.

    Cheers and hugs,

    Stella and Jo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Biased or not, K is still stunningly gorgeous! I believe she and Bunny might be cut from the same mold -- there has never been a person we've met that she can't convince to pet her. There are no strangers in the world, just people she hasn't been formally introduced to yet!

    I am so glad to hear that you are feeling more positive about K's progress. I see that drive that she has to be with you, and really think she'll overcome the obstacle. If three-legged Greyhounds can do it, K can easily do it on four! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have some arthritis in my back legs. It comes and goes, but there are many days when it just disappears and I run around like a pup. Mama doesn't really know how to explain this ...so we just enjoy it and make the most of the good days.

    Your pal, Pip

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are amazingly resilient, even when dealing with pain or arthritis. At almost 16, and arthritis in her front shoulders, hips and knees (from dual ACL surgery) Abby gets around amazingly well! And, she can even do a little bunny bounce run when she is really excited! They are amazing animals!

    Maybe the lump is just some scar tissue or a cyst of some sort. We will be hoping for the best for her!

    Holly and Khady

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good to see K's Spirit Cats are still on duty. It's encouraging that she seems to feel better every day, even if the lump requires the occassional lick.

    Never heard of OCD drinking! Well, in a dog and involving water. Jed's OCD is limited to chewing holes in himself, and is totally separate from his allergies, which are under control. He seems to cycle; sometimes he's very bad, sometimes he's perfectly normal. He's my first OCD dog and it's a challenge.

    Crossed paws for K's continued recovery.

    Jed & Abby

    ReplyDelete
  16. Breaking the sound barrier. He's one happy fellow.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Y'all!

    Thanks for sending that beautiful sunshine and crisp air this way. It was a breath-taking morning here.

    K looks magnificent! What an expressive face!

    Y'all come by now,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete
  18. illicit romp and roll... that is over the top hilarious. I'm thinkin' this was some sort of adult-only post!

    Poor R and his OCD... ugh. behavior management is HARD. i always think how much i love loki's crackerness because it's part of his drive. but at the same time, he has to be managed. a bunch of school girls wanted to pet the dogs today and stupid me, i said yes because both dogs are child friendly but of course they were all girls and they all crowed around and he freaked a bit. all he did was talk a bit (his voice can be scary) and jump up toward a little girls hand which was raised really high and he's known to "touch" with his mouth as a game but again, he's sensitive to "energy" around his space so when energy rises, so does HE! and when his energy rises, it can seem either very entertaining or very alarming depending upon who the person is and what they know about dogs. but ya, his energy and anxieties always need management. always. and it's quite draining to manage it. sometimes i say it's easier having a shoe eater than a cracker.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We think you're right. K is absolutely, totally and completely GORGEOUS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hee ... love that K took a little romp, glad it didn't seem to work.

    I'm sorry that R's behavior is showing some spontaneous recovery. Indeed behavior mod is an every day, long term thing. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We will keep paws crossed that K's lump is nothing and that every day she gets a little closer to a full recovery!

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  22. I agree with Khyra - Chocolate Goodness shots!

    OCD - I never thought dogs could get it until recently however it does have me thinking about all the habitual/nervous/anxious/excited/bored scratchies that seem to happen. Distraction usually works however its not to the same extent as R's issues.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You have alot going on...I share your optimism about riding with K. I think her actions today point towards that!

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!