Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Hiding and Peeking with Shyla

My Shyla still hides sometimes. When we meet people or dogs who she doesn't trust, she literally vanishes. She's very good at doing it without anyone noticing. People who don't know me are not aware that I have a dog with me.

If I look around really hard, I sometimes catch a glimpse of her peeking out from behind a tree...

... or behind a boulder. I don't tell the scary people that she's there because I feel like I'd be giving away Shyla's secret strategy. It would scare her if everyone turned and looked at her.

Then, after the scary people and their dogs have left, I call her. She bursts out to sprint to me.
I am so happy that Shyla trusts me so much, and she's learned strategies to deal with the scary parts of life. I am, however, sometimes wistful, just wishing that the world wasn't at all scary to her.

No matter what, I've got her back.

15 comments:

  1. Shyla is lucky to have someone she can trust so much. Maybe with time she will be more confident and not need to hide. Also, your photos are really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so very cute beautiful Shyla!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The shadow in that last photo is so cool! Like a petroglyph!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari OM
    If it's working and she is coming right back when called, then all is really rather good - and it makes for some fabulous photographs! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad she trust you to be her safety
    from the scary stuff.
    xo Astro

    ReplyDelete
  6. it is heartbreaking that she feels the need to hide from strangers. hurts my heart for her... love the peeking pics and the racing shadow on the way to her safe haven mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. You and your mom are best friends for life, Shyla♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shyla bravo to you for learning how to overcome immediate fears and we believe your confidence is getting stronger too. We all have a coping mechanism and we are glad you found yours so you can still take adventures with your sweet mama. I have never been in the great out of doors but I suspect loud noises and would make me seek a hiding place.
    Hugs madi your BFFF

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shyla has learnt how to cope with scary people, with thanks to your hours and days of training, strategies she can follow, they have all paid off so well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And SHE knows that you have her back. She may be afraid, but she found her way to feel safe. She is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Her hiding is super cute, but sad at the same time. She seems to know just how to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a special relationship you two have
    hugs
    Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is difficult to see them being scared, but I think it's good when they figure out ways to deal with it that work for them.
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
  14. No matter what,,,, shes is your girl!
    And we love her too!
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!