Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Mohawk's Cubs Explore Water

The days of mama bear's blissful baths without the cubs are coming to an end. Both cubs are getting over their worries about water and join their mom, Mohawk, in the water.


After Blackie watched her soak, he and his sibling took off, leading mom to worry. She grunted softly, like all mother bears do when they're worried about their cubs, and then she stood up to look for them.

After she either heard or smelled them, Blackie joined her in the water hole. I love this image - Blackie and mom looked each other in the eyes. They bear some resemblance, don't you think? (pun intended).

After Blackie and mom exited, Brownie showed up and took a short bath alone. Their mom loves water more than any bear I've seen - and these cubs will be super used to it by the time they are ready to go off on their own.
It's interesting to see that the cubs have switched roles. Up until a week ago, Brownie stayed very close to mom and Blackie tended to stray. For some reason, all of the videos from the past week show the opposite pattern. I wonder why.

Check out the video if you have time.


I feel so lucky to know how to peek into the lives of these animals who live full lives under the radar but in our midst. I hope with all of my heart that their habitat is not destroyed. Sometimes I wonder how many other people think about our invisible wildlife.

20 comments:

  1. love the bathing photos... they remind me of humans sitting in their bathtub LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. Love the brown cub. I'm working on getting bathing bears. I've gotten them at marking trees, on marking trail, crossing on beaver dams, and popping up in unexpected locations, but still haven't gotten them bathing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful treat to get to safely enjoy watching them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They sure do enjoy their swim and we love watching them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am thinking those sounds mama made were telling the kids to get their butts where she can see them... I love the two looking at each other, blesses my soul. I believe there are not many people who ever even think about our unseen wildlife.. a small percentage that do is my belief... and I don't thing many of our elected officeals care at all. all about the dollar thing

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sure is fun having a peek into the lives of this mom and her cubs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so love your invisible wildlife videos. Thanks again for taking the time to collect them, and post them here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I appreciate your sharing these videos with us. It's amazing to see the bears in their habitat. Hopefully we humans will realize that we need to share the world with all the animals.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think about the wildlife all the time. I was raised out in the middle of nowhere and we saw all kinds of wildlife. Just as you do now. It's most amazing.

    Have a fabulous day. Scritches to the pups. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. We could watch the bear and her cubs all day long - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous, and brownie almost did a dog paddle when he first went in. I wonder how cold that water is, as they so enjoy it. Mumma has her hands full keeping an eye on them,we are so privileged to see this, thanks for sharing your part of the wildlife world with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are so fun - and fascinating - to watch. I also do think about the wildlife, and worry about their habitat as well. Thanks so much for sharing the videos with us! ♥
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such wonderful fun, for them and us!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't think people give invisible wildlife much of a thought! Great to see the cubs enjoying the water. Looks like Brownie is becoming more adventurous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the part where mama was standing and looking, and one cub came up and stood behind her, looking in the same direction, til she turned around. "What are we looking at, Mama?"
    I bet they get relief from mosquitoes and such when they are in the water and afterwards when they have mud in their coats. If goats liked water, I would rent a digger and make them a waterhole here. Our weather continues to get worse instead of better, and the biting bugs are having a field day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. thank you SO much for posting. What a pure pleasure to get to watch their family. They have just as much right to be here as we do..thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an absolutely adorable family. So much fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!