Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Monday, November 24, 2014

Eyes or Nose?

I find it fascinating to spend so much time in the woods with a different species, a dog. We humans rely very heavily on our sight to "scan" the world around us. For dogs, it is undeniably different. I've seen Shyla walk right past all sorts of wildlife - deer, elk, grouse - who were standing still downwind of her. She didn't see them with her eyes, and the wind was taking their scent away from her. This was one example last summer. She didn't see this grouse!
Because we humans are so visually oriented, we tend to focus on the eyes of our dog friends when we look at them.
But, perhaps their portraits should look like this to emphasize which sense is most important to them!
Sometimes I wish that I could "see" the world through a dog's nose for just one day!

19 comments:

  1. I have often said the same thing KB! Love when my girlz get a hit on some interesting smell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard people say that dogs can smell a whole landscape in the same way that we can - and pick out the individual scents that make up the scene. I'd love to experience that...I think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it would definitely be interesting to experience what dogs do with their noses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to have that experience too, KB!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That bird is so neat! I find it funny to watch Nola because she hardly ever noticeably uses her nose - she's always watching and seems to rely more on that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. all ya gotta do is close your eyes and sniff it's real easy if you have a big snooter like mine.

    Aroo to you,
    Sully

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've never seen a grouse. That is one weird lookin' bird!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was told by a dog trainer once that when we walk into a room we can say "I smell stew cooking." When a dog walks in they smell carrots, peas, green beans, etc. He said they smell each ingredient, not "stew".

    ReplyDelete
  9. So true! I've seen Küster stop and look really surprised a lot of times when his "victim" suddenly appears at the end of his trail. It always cracks me up, but he gets so caught up in the world of scent that he forgets to use his eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know, I would love to experience the world through a dog's nose just for a little while. Must be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wouldn't it be sooo very exciting!!
    And we would have the happiest nose and eyes in the whole world!
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL! The only problem being that what their good strong noses consider a good smell and what we would aren't the same! But it sure would be interesting. I know I can always tell when a deer is near me due to the smell, but certainly not the fox. And dogs can follow a scent from previous days. It really is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Torrey smells stuff on our walks, that I never even see until she chases them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. For flat noses we got pretty good sniffers. How did you miss that bird? Bet it taste like chicken
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  15. It would be an interesting experiment! Mom says I have eyes like a hawk when it comes to spotting a bird cuz I chase them all!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!