Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Thursday, November 6, 2014

The Labraduo at Sunset

Every year, my psyche is challenged by the switch to "standard time" in combination with the rapidly diminishing daylight hours. This year has been odd because we've been having sun and warmth like it's September since the time switch. I've been spending as much time outdoors as I can, trying to soak up what must be the last of the warm sunshine. Being outdoors also helps me forget that my head is aching.

This week, I've made a big point of being outside with the Labraduo for sunset, as a way of enjoying what this season has to offer, even if the days are shorter. I love seeing their fur glow in its light.
My favorite place for photos is near K's Rock, the one where she was perched in the banner photo.
The light is wonderful there, and I can gaze at the hills to the east and the Divide to the west. It's the highest point that's a short walk from our house. The problem with it is that the Duo constantly scans the huge view, and every little thing distracts them.
Part of the reason for their hyper-vigilance is that hikers have been emerging from their hibernation caves where they hide for most of the year. I've never seen so many people on our trail system, taking advantage of the incredible weather. This has been has been a shock to the Duo and me because, on almost every evening hike for the past decade, we've seen no one else.
So, today, we took a different strategy. We headed for a west-facing section of forest, away from trails, so we could play happily by ourselves.
Both dogs seemed to enjoy themselves as they played recall games with me in the last shafts of sunlight filtering through the forest.

Based on my photos, I had to wonder if sticking out the tongue is a key to a fast recall!
Eventually, the sun hit the horizon, well before 5 PM. I took one quick photo of a very bright-eyed R in the setting sunlight before we started hiking home. It's been so nice to have extra time with him this week.
Winter will be here soon enough. I won't argue with a few more idyllic days of warm sunshine!

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love the light of early morning and sunset.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You captured the light beautifully...and that second photo from top is a stunner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like seeing the dogs' fur in that evening light. It was in the 50's here today. The ski area has postponed opening - too little snow and too warm for snowmaking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. they really are gorgeous in the setting sun's light!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job in soaking up the last warms days before cold winter hit.
    The photos you capture are so amazing. They truly show the beauty and bond in Shyla and R.
    We have lots of rain here lately, but tonight,,, the biggest moon we ever did see. We thought of you.
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures of two gorgeous dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful lighting, down here there has been a tiny sprinkle of snow, about 1.5 hours away, severe hail storms that have demolished fruit crops. a long way further south, a freezing morning here, a severe frost at Rotorua, and summer will officially start in 24 days!! Dare I say it, seasons are not like they were years ago, predictable, and always seasonal. Let those warm days with sun continue for you for some time yet. Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love the photos of you and Shyla looking in opposite directions, R.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting about the hikers. When we camped at Shenandoah two weeks ago it was absolutely swamped. The parking at the trailheads was overflowing. I know what you mean about it coming as a shock to encounter so many other people on the trails because we felt the same way. Usually if you are willing to go more than 1/2 mile from the road you are guaranteed to be virtually alone all day.

    And as a sufferer from Seasonal Affective Disorder I dread the time change. As you say, the nice weather has helped compensate for dark arriving before dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos. We try to walk where we don't run into peeps too because sometimes they have loose dogs with them that they can't control:( The days here have been sunny and warm too with cool nights, but we hear there is a cold blast on its way for next week.

    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am loving the warm days too. Not a fan of the early dark however.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree about the weather! After a series of very wintery days, it warmed up again and much outdoor tasking was undertaken! And yetserday and today we are having raw, damp, sometimes rainy, times...I am having trouble prodding myself into any action beyond chores. Piper is happy with very short walks in the woods on these days, and that's okay with me. I am learning to embrace my wimpiness.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great pair those two! We are sad about the time change too. By the time I get home from work, it is almost dark in half an hour, so evening walks are out for now during the week
    hugs
    Mr Bailey & Hazel

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not sure I would like having to share my trails with other humans. Living where you do, I think my personal space bubble would be HUGE! But, alas, I guess they have a right to enjoy it, too. At least there are a few people who actually go outside into nature. In my area, the vast majority never set foot outdoors if they can help it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Breath taking pics... as always! Glad you are enjoying what's left of fall.

    It is unseasonably warm here in LA...sleeping with the windows open!

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!