Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The Crazy Swings of Spring

We had a warm and delightful evening walk yesterday. I love seeing the Labraduo together again, after R's long hiatus while he recovered from elbow surgery.

Not only do these two snuggle at home almost all the time but they also move in sync frequently when we're outside. Shyla is like a smaller and browner version of R at this instant.
R remained fixed on the scent to his right while Shyla's attention shifted.
We stayed out beyond sunset. At the instant of sunset, R was squinting against the intense sunlight.
There was a snowstorm predicted for today but, this morning, it looked like maybe the meteorologists were wrong.
Shyla is purposely wearing only two boots. Somehow, on two paws, she has possible injuries/infections up in between her paw pads. She's wearing boots on them outdoors and socks indoors (to keep her from licking them).

The socks, for some bizarre reason, absolutely terrified her for a while (but the outdoor boots are no big deal). This morning, she initially went into "hiding" when I put on the socks. She was hiding in the same places as she hid during those traumatic first few weeks after she joined our family. Fortunately, over the course of the day, she's relaxed a bit.

The snow has had a strong crust in the mornings which could, in theory, injure paws. She usually can stand or walk on the crust but it starts breaking when she runs.
Alas, the sun gave away to a snow storm this afternoon. Our bird feeder was mobbed. I believe that these are two Savannah Sparrows (the "Belding" form) - but I'm not certain so please feel free to speak up if you think I'm wrong. The one in flight is trying to force the one perched on the feeder to move.
After watching these battles, I eventually took out an extra feeder. These birds are not usually here at this time of year (or ever that I remember). According to their range maps, they don't come this far north in the winter most years. I suspect that this storm will be tough for them to weather. I hope our bird food helps!

19 comments:

  1. This has been a very odd winter for us as well. We broke records for a warm February and got enough water to make up for the earlier loss!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    Pee Ess - Cool boots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pictures look like paintings
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  3. sweet of you to feed the birds. hope little shyla's paws heal up okay. such a sweet pair of pups.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The duo is so cute together! I hope Shyla's paws heal up soon.
    Nola

    ReplyDelete
  5. You captured some beautiful, beautiful photos!
    Poor Shyla, were hoping her footies get better real soon,
    Her little shoes are very pretty though.
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love seeing the duo together - they seem to match up perfectly.

    We had 70s yesterday and today, a drop of about 25 degrees at dinner time, a few thunderstorms, and soon a touch of snow - crazy day indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous photos of both dogs and birds. I had to use the sock/boot routine for my Golden who had allergies and would chew her feet. Our see-saw weather continues in the mountains - warmer on Tuesday and snow again today. I've been thinking of you - I hope your migraines are abating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The duo is so awesome together. I love that first image!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What gorgeous dogs! I hope Shyla's pads heal quickly. One of my granddogs sliced one of hers and it took forever to heal. She's the one on the right: http://cheerfulmonk.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/1-06-13-Sammy-and-Montana-with-Bandage.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  10. We're dealing with some tender feet here right now, too. I'm sorry poor Shyla has hers bothering her. Here's hoping it clears up soon!

    I love those pictures of Shyla and R together! Those are some of my favorites ever of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is wonderful to see Shyla and R growing into such a warm loving bond. The photos truly capture their relationship.

    Your weather this time of year is most amazing--from Spring to merciless Winter in just a matter of a few hours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great Pictures of the duo. How qute the Little boots are.
    have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Strange that the socks bother her but the boots don't....

    XXXOOO Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are very handsome boots, Shyla! We just adore the pictures of you and R together!

    Love ya lots♥
    Mitch and Molly

    ReplyDelete
  15. Shyla manages to keep those boots on? Whenever he has worn them, Tommy has managed to get rid of them in no time!

    For indoors, I found the best soft felt dog socks at a Dollar store in Canada last summer. They are comfortable and actually stay on.

    The first shot is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those boots look might fancy and the bird photo is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. *haha* Shyla's stylin' with those boots, I must say... and they're the perfect color! :)

    Ole Man Winter has hit our parts again too... but the world is so pretty to look at today, even from inside the house. Our weather watch is until 4pm today & it's starting to get dark outside again, even though it's only 9:34am. I suspect we're in for another round here pretty quick. No sense complainin'... just gotta sit back & enjoy the ride.

    Hope your "ride" is pain-free today, my friend... at least neck on up anyhow. Migraines, migraines, STAY AWAY!!!

    You were sooooooo right about the therapy on my knee, KB! I have a set of exercises (stretching) I do 3x daily plus I'm scheduled to go to therapy 3x weekly. Today was my first "official" therapy day (last one was just an evaluation & to make sure I knew how to do my at-home exercises properly) but I had to cancel today's therapy session because our drive is blown shut. Schools here are closed too. When I called to cancel, she said most everyone else is too. :(

    I'll keep up with my exercises at home & go to therapy 3x next week. We'll see what happens. My knee still feels "locked" & I don't know if therapy is going to do anything about that but... I have more flexibility in that knee/leg despite it & that's a good thing.

    ~Andrea
    XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the photographs of the Labs together. Warms my heart and breaks my heart all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Y'all,

    Amazing bird photos.

    Y'all come by now,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!