Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Dog Tricks

I spend more time practicing tricks with the Duo in the winter than at other times of year. Shyla and I have mainly been working on her learning the names of her toys. I say "Find Ring", and she needs to go to the big pile of toys and bring me the one we've labeled "ring". She's learned pretty fast and knows the names of four toys so far.

We've also been practicing the trick of balancing a treat on Shyla's nose, tossing it in the air, and catching it. She's mastered the first two steps. Balancing it and tossing it.
The problem comes in the catching the treat after she tosses it. This one was a definite miss.
Closer on this one...
A success!!!
R is a master at this trick except when I try to take photos. He's learned that I can't enforce that he must wait with the treat on his nose while I get ready with the camera. So, he tosses it and catches it before I snap a single photo. He's smarter than I am!

We've also had fun with the dogs trying to learn to do tricks next to each other. They each independently know some of the same tricks. However, I've discovered that they immediately "forget" how to do the tricks when they are side-by-side. Over the winter, I taught them to wave simultaneously while side-by-side. However, I don't have any photos because they "forget" how to wave when I take out the camera! Slowly introducing the camera is the next step in that trick.

But, they did let me take a photo of them taking bows next to each other! You can see their different styles - Shyla likes to have her chin on the ground and R doesn't. But I was thrilled that they cooperated for a photo!

21 comments:

  1. Togetherness in all, lovely last one, just some sunshine giving that gorgeous glimmer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are too cute! I love the photos of Shyla catching the biscuits and I love how R has outsmarted you! :D Zoe does that a lot, too. Also, she's the same way about the camera. I really need to work on that! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. lots of fun! Greta learned to push a doll stroller for her graduation trick at beginning obedience class! Now I need to come up with something clever for Mabel to do as she starts that class next week
    hugs
    Mr Bailey, Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! Also love how R outwits you! B and R have a lot in common in that way. Remember the ice cream incident from last summer? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey smarty pants, do you believe what they make us do for a treat!
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  6. We only know 'treat' 'cheese' 'get in the car' 'cat and 'bird'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwwwwwww - your bow together is wonderful! We love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tricks are great, but I never seem to get around to training any. I'm lazy :-(

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a team.

    Aroo to you,
    Sully

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucy has never once come close to catching the treat in her mouth. I'm not even sure she realizes it's part of the trick. Perhaps to her the trick is balance, wait, toss in air, pick up off floor. Love the bows.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such fun you and the pups have together!!! That last shot is so cute - Lightning doesn't like to go all the way down either - but we think he just wants to have a head start on getting the treat:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So Piper is not the only dog who reacts differently when a camera comes out! Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maybe you could try setting the camera up on a tripod with a wide angle shot and use a remote. Then you wouldn't be hiding behind a camera and would still be able to snap the picture when you want it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMD, that is too cute!!! I also - sort of- can do the treatie on my nose and toss it...okay..not really...butts Ma does try! I just don't like thingies on my snooter, so it's a challenge. ☺
    Ma said that she likes the idea of learning the names of my toys...I have lots of toys, so this could keep me busy for ages! BOL
    You guys are amazin'!
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are sooo smart! We loved looking at the photos of Shyla catching her treat,, and the two of them doing their bow!
    They make us smile!
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow - love this bowing picture. I guess this is yet another reminder that dogs don't generalize! Hugs to the labraduo and to you and the runnder KB.

    Diane and Indy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great tricks and we love that last photo too! Mom and dad try to teach us new stuffs all the time just to keep us on our paws!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job! I can't wait to see a photo of them both waving.

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!