Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Friday, March 6, 2015

Seizing the Days

Finally, we awakened to sunshine and some warmth!
We headed out into the world fairly early, greeting by birds singing and warmer air than we've felt in a while.
I was tired this morning. We are trying hard to make decisions about R's elbow, and we were up late last night talking through the "decision tree". You have no idea how I wish our R was born with normal joints, like Shyla is lucky enough to have.

We'll do whatever we can to help R keep running with minimal pain. The one definitive decision we've made is to delay the big reconstructive surgery on his elbow at least until the end of the summer. We may take less extreme measures between now and then to keep him going.

You never know how many years you'll get with your dog, and we don't want to waste a summer of R's life with him being required to be sedentary. The surgeon agrees that R can wait until fall for the big surgery.
I hate to say it - but K didn't live to be much older than R is now. That's part of why we know that we need to seize every day we can with our dogs. And, we need to carefully plan out when R will have that big surgery so we don't miss out on the amazing mountain summer with him.
The photo above demonstrates why R hasn't been featured in many "snow frolicking" photos recently. Running in deep snow is tough on a dog's body. Shyla seems to handle it well but I try to steer her away from the really deep snow when I can. And, I try not to let R do it at all when he's out with me and Shyla.

Playing in the snow must be sleep inducing. This is how I found the Duo later in the morning. A tiny sun puddle had formed, and they were sharing it.
We all love our Black Dog - and we hope that we are working toward making decisions that will allow him to seize as many days as possible!


  1. We send all our best love to R and we know you will make sure all the right things happen.

  2. It's so hard to make difficult decisions about our dogs. We wish we could discuss the options with them. Glad R will have a fun summer. Love the sun lovers. They snuggle just like Ellie and Lucy used to do.

  3. That is such a sweet moment for R and Shyla. When you love a dog so much, sometimes it is hard to know what is best for the dog. We know you are making the best choices for R, as we are trying to do for Phantom. But sometimes it is just very difficult.

  4. They are too cute! I don't blame you at all for waiting on R's surgery. I would do the same thing!

  5. I can totally respect and understand why you've made the decision you've made for your boy. In a similar circumstance, I think I would do the same thing. Enjoy your weekend, whatever Mother Nature brings! :-)

  6. What a sweet sleepy moment. I hope R can enjoy his summer with you before he must embark on surgery. I like your sun and snow-filled photos.

  7. And we love R too,, and we want him to have a great summer!!
    We know you will all come to the right decision,

  8. Great idea to wait on the surgery, I think. In the meantime, maybe some acupuncture (Bart went today) and some extra rest. It's so hard makeing decisions for people who can't speak for themselves!!

  9. That last picture of those two together is too sweet. A moment to cherish as well as the active ones.

  10. You will make the right decisions for R, we know it. Love that last picture, so sweet
    Mr Bailey, Hazel & Mabel

  11. I'm so sorry about his elbow, and I hope he --- and you all --- have a wonderful summer. It breaks my heart to think of him having to be sendentary.

    I'm so sorry you have to worry about decisions like this.

  12. Awe! R is the best. I think you made a wise decision regarding summer and waiting. Sigh. Give him a hug from me and Juno and a high paw from the cracker.

  13. I so agree with you, it's true we don't know how much time we have together. And I wish you the best summer and send POTP and a hug to R.
    easy rider

  14. Hari Om
    Oh that last shot is frame-able!!! It is so difficult being advocates for those of our companions who cannot speak for themselves... I also think your decision holds great merit and wish you lots of POTP for fun days seized... Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

  15. Sounds like a good idea to us. Enjoy the summer as much as possible and store up all those memories.

  16. We know that your mom and dad will make the very best decision for you, R. We absolutely adore that last shot♥

  17. What wonderful photos. They truly know what it is to live life to the fullest, surrounded by love.

  18. Ditto to what Mitch and Molly said—we know you're doing the very best for both R and Shyla. And that last picture...

  19. What a peaceful shot of Shyla and R!

  20. SOunds like solid decision making of something that is very hard to decide. Mom says our lives pass too quickly but me and Stanley don't think about it.

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

  21. It's a vEry difficult decision, and very expensive surgery. My Precious Penelope the Pyranees Princess had her back knees done. One at a time, 12 weeks recovery ( meaning lifting a 110 lb dog every time she needed to go out, sleeping downstairs with her, and then do the other knee. She was around 7 at the time and she lived to 12. As far as investment strategy, it's not a good one, but all the animals I've had have been rescues, and the deal has always been to provide the best life for them. She had a wonderful life and knew that I loved her.
    You are certainly on the right track, and altho R doesn't know what you're thinking, I'll bet he will appreciate a new elbow.


If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!