Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Thursday, June 11, 2020

Thankful Thursday

I think that it is so helpful to think about what I am grateful for each week. Many weeks, my gratitude is for this glorious place that we call home.

This morning, the remnants of the winter storm lingered here. The snow was gone but the clouds over the mountains were winter clouds - a white puffy pillow that hugged the peaks. Above those white clouds, dark ones hung. This is a typical winter sight - very unusual in June. I love how majestic the mountains look when cloaked like this.

After stopping to gaze at the mountains, I rode on about 100 yards with Shyla by my side when a flicker of bright colors caught my eye. We don't have many brilliantly colored birds here so I knew it was a Western Tanager.
At first, I watched only him but then an olive colored puffy bird flew to him. A baby tanager!

As I think that the father bird wanted, his flashy colors drew my attention away from the baby as he fluttered and flew.

I've taken courses with an expert bird photographer so I was almost ready in the few seconds that I had before he flew. My depth of field was pretty good but the tips of the wings still blurred a little because he moved them so fast relative to my shutter speed. I kind of like the effect. The feathers have a wave-like pattern.
That interlude was an incredible treat. I see Tanagers a few times per summer but I am rarely ready with my camera before they fly away.

For me, having the mountains, birds, and other wildlife right outside my door is an astounding gift. And being able to enjoy it with Shyla by my side makes it like heaven to me.

22 comments:

  1. yes.. it is a gift... and it never gets old or dated... it is fresh and brandnew every morning

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    Seeing such birds is immense pleasure - to get them in the lens is beyond worth! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Western Tanager with a Western Teenager?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yellow is the color of joy and that way wing wing and those two pictures is absolutely full of joy. Greg capture and the beauty of the mountains pale beside the beauty of the sweet dog standing in front of them

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness what a photo capture of the year! I've never seen a Tanager of any color in person.
    This one is full of technicolor and splendor
    thank you
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photographs are always magical. Thanks for joining our Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos are beautiful. I love watching birds. I have finches nesting on my patio and I watch them through my kitchen window - who needs tv!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You live in a most beautiful place and I want to thank you for sharing it with us.

    Have a fabulous Thankful Thursday. Scritches to the pups. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Western Tanager is so colorful. Love your photos with his wings in motion!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Thankful Thursday!! We just love the beautiful place where you live. We too would love it and the peaceful life with wildlife around you. Thanks for sharing. Have a great rest of your day.
    World of Animals

    ReplyDelete
  11. That tanager is so beautiful. We rarely see the scarlet tanager that is native to our region. You caught him perfectly. I think it's okay to have some blur to show the movement in a flight picture.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey KB just wanted to let you know that huge tree on yesterday's post was on one of the trails we took.
    Thankfully not in our yard.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing! Your photography skills are well honed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So much here to be thankful for.
    Beautiful photos of the Tanager (and thank you for introducing me to this unfamiliar species of bird).
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You do have your little piece of heaven right there outside your door!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those are fantastic pictures of pretty birds. You surely do live in God's country, and God likes it cold.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I also feel grateful - grateful that I can experience second-hand the beautiful mountains you live in. Thank-you so much for sharing them with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is a beautiful bird. Bright colored birds are out favorites. You do like in a magical place.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That view in the first photo is simply amazing, and I love the beautiful tanager as well. Great captures!
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your bird images are incredible! Well done. Wasn't this week's storm wild? With the pandemic I'm always confused as to the calendar but with this week's snow it's even more weird and confusing.

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!