Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Monday, June 1, 2020

The Hachi Chronicle

This week, I've felt gratitude that we can be Hachi's rock in a world that he finds scary. We give him safe haven, a sheltered home, where he can feel safe.

Part of our role is not as easy - taking him out into the world and helping him learn to navigate it. This week, I took him out onto our land at about sunrise a couple of times. Hachi loves a schedule and predictability so this totally new event stretched him. He was a bit scared when we first headed out. It didn't help that bears have been around so he certainly smelled them.

I worked with him, helping him to be confident despite the novelty of being out with me at sunrise. We practiced some recalls - which he loves. He seemed happy and goofy by the end.
To keep my sanity, I have to remember that rehabilitating Hachi is a long journey. For example, the next time that we go out at sunrise, I think that he'll be as nervous as he was this week. At some point, I hope that he will begin to generalize but it won't be in the near future.

We also do our best to find quiet places where he and his sister can play together. That's been a much bigger challenge in this pandemic which seems to have made everyone take up hiking. We need a cloistered spot so that Hachi doesn't spot a stranger in the distance. We succeeded this week, which makes us smile. They are so happy when romping and playing together.
It was a good week for Hachi and for our pack so we are all smiling!

17 comments:

  1. we hear you... all people are outside...even if you walk at the weirdest places you will meet at least a biker... uaaah....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari Om
    Take every positive and hold it dear! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply gorgeous pictures of your gorgeous and oh so handsome Hachi! So glad he did well I love the photo of him in his chair

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a gorgeous boy, Hachi! We love the photo of you and Shyla romping together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having a good week is a wonderful thing.

    Have a fabulous day and week. Scritches to the pups. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy June an a very Happy Hachi report.
    That boy sure does know how to work the camera...
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're glad to hear Hachi and everyone in your family had a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Smiles, a safe place to play, no strangers coming near, they are all what me might take for granted in another world . Let Hachi's good days with fun and smiles for you continue.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're smiling right along with you, way to go Hachi and Shyla!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are doing great work with him and working miracles

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, you are lookin' very happy my furiend! Yes, I likes routine too. And nows that I am *cough, cough* older, I thrive on it. I don't likes changes in my routine eithers. I am glads that you gots to do some playin' with your sister! she is the bestest!
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. We go nuts too with all the people suddenly out and about, but it has started to dissipate, and now there are only a few plus us regulars.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad it was a good week, and I am continuing to cheer you all on for more good weeks and lots of fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm trying to get into new routines with going to my shop almost daily, but it's been tough so far, especially when I add in needing to plant the gardens too. Luke seems to be handling it pretty well so far, thankfully. Next week I should be caught up and we can hopefully be on more of a regular schedule for his walks.
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!