Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Peace and strength

Today, Mr. Fatback, my amazing mountain bike for riding in snow, made it possible for me to take a trail ride on deeply snow-covered paths.
K and I rolled out into blustery cold, heading straight for a viewpoint. We had the idea that we might be able to see the mountains, unlike yesterday.
Indeed, the snow covered peaks jutted up through the swirling white clouds. Someone recently asked me why the mountains and the forest animals continue to fascinate me after I've seen them so many times. The person was obviously struggling to understand me. The truth is that the mountains mysteriously change daily and noticing the nuances makes me feel alive. And, the animals? Almost everything about them is still a mystery to me so each glimpse and photo gives me new insight.
K stuck to my side like my guardian angel today, barely straying to check scents or tracks. We seemed to float over the snow, like a pair of ghosts. I love riding with K, and I'll miss it so much during my enforced layoff after my surgery.

After I dropped off K at home, I rode up a trail that I haven't visited in at least a month.
In June, the view from the top combined bright green leaves with snow-dotted mountains.
Today, the view was much harsher, with skeleton trees and the Divide completely enshrouded in clouds. The wind gusted crazily, and a shimmering fog of snow blew across the surface of the ground. The flying crystals reflected the sun with a rainbow of sparkling colors. At one point, I crouched down to watch the blowing snow from ground-level. It was surreal so it makes sense that I couldn't capture it in a photo.
As I crouched down, I noticed brilliant splashes of red - rose hips! Many of the thorny bushes still had shriveled berries hanging from them. I've read that deer and elk love eating these berries in mid-winter.
After a much longer-than-planned ride, I returned home to find R stretched out on his bed, snoring away. Notice that his first gray hair is visible on his cheek in the photo. I wanted to join him but had things to do!
I wish you all an adventurous and peaceful new year. May you have the strength and flexibility to thrive no matter what unexpected twists and turns you encounter.

Happy New Year from your romping friends in Colorado.

9 comments:

  1. and a very peace and love filled new year to you!
    i love to see the untracked snow....and the comparison pictures are fascinating...
    did you see the moon tonight? it is truly a sight to behold...and i'm sure from your vantage point it is stunning.....
    xo
    ....i totally get it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And we would wish the same in return to YOU!

    It has been a pleasure to 'meet' here!

    Khyra, Merdie, and Phyll

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible photos, incredible scenery.
    Safe and Happy New Year.

    Byron and his Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. We wish you a happy, prosperous and healthy New Year!

    How many different trails are there around you? You seem to have a lot of different ones to explore! I envy that from the middle of the cornfield!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have had a very busy week here with family and holidays. We have missed so many of your posts. We always leave with such a feeling of peace and serenity, thank you for that. We hope and pray that 2010 brings you some good things.


    Happy New Year to you and wishes from us to you for a happy, healthy, and blessed new year.

    Woos, Phantom and Thunder

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully said! I have an old pic kicking around somewhere and if I can find it I'll e-mail it to you. I had to crouch down to ground level to get a pic of some of those flying crystals. A thing of beauty, as is this post...

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year to you, too!

    I just commented today to my sister that I missed going to the woods because of how different they look every time we go. The beach, though nice, always tends to look the same.

    ReplyDelete
  8. On the advice of the first poster, KKS, I went to look at the Blue Moon. Cloudy skies, just a bare little peep of brightness to know there IS a moon up there. You'd think if we can put up with 15 to 25 below zero weather, we could have a look at the big-time moon for all our trouble. No dice! I hope YOU can see it, and make a few wishes on it.

    Cheers, hugs and Happy New Year,

    Jo and Stella

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Blue Moon came out! The clouds scattered and showed us this lovely moon with a huge halo around it. Sub-zero weather seems to make it even more beautiful.

    Ahhhh, I take it all back!

    Jo and Stella

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!